Undulated triggerfish & tankmates

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Has anybody succesfully kept an undulated trigger with any tankmates. I am planning on getting one, but, I read that that are highly aggressive to other fish. So has anyone kept tankmates with them, and if so what.

Also is there any fish that you think might stand a chance with one and that I should give a try, as long as it is not to expensive.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Anybody have any ideas or input?

TheVision

Feeder Fish
Jun 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have a large (9-10 inch) Undulate Trigger (She's a beautiful beast!) that I would love to put into my large fish community tank. Currently I keep him in a 55 by himself. Everything I have seen and heard suggests that they cannot be trusted. They may get along for a period of time then snap and start killing off the fish in your tank. The only thing I have ever heard of is when you keep an Undulate with similarly aggressive fish (and alot of them) such as other triggers you could (clould!) be successful. I would think that you could keep some combination of a Huma, Queen Trigger, Niger, Blue Line, etc... all of similar size together. One other thing would be to put something really huge like a monster sized Queen Trigger in order to establish that fish as the dominant fish in the tank. That might potentially keep the Undulate in check.
BTW... The Undulate Trigger is my favorite fish

Reactions: J. H.

waylon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2005
beanstation tn
I was told best kept alone in its own tank.I had one with a niger trigger stiped puffer and a yellow tang.They did fine for a while.But the undulate started taking peices out of the yellow tang and running the niger around the tank.I finaly got rid of him because he was too small for the big tank alone and slow growing.

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
seems a couple of members here have had success with overcrowding triggers together. id maybe try another trigger or large grouper if i had the appropriate tank/filtration, but i would buy a undulated trigger expecting it to eventually hold its own tank. good luck

chewy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
md
I would think twice before I put anything with that guy a friend of mine had one with a lionfish the size of a basketball in a 135 and he came home one day and all he could find of the lionfish was a few of the spines. man those guys are evil !!!:banhim: :screwy: :woot: dont be skeert

charjump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
georgia
I never had one but my friend had one with his picasso and it never bothered it. It actually was shy. It would occasionally chase the picasso and in return the picasso chased it back but no bodily harm was ever done, so I say keep it with other triggers.

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Captivity all depends on tanksize. It needs a much larger tank then a 55, to be successful with other tankmates. Even then you may experience a trigger that wants the tank to himself. I'd say keep him all alone in a 55.:)

mybikeisred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Seaside, CA
I used a small Undulate to cycle my 55, and it killed everything I put in there. Two Picassos, a White tip trigger(flagtail), a Bursa, an 8" Volitan Lion, and a grouper. I got rid of him, but got an even larger undulate who was eventually killed overnight by a smaller clown trigger. I have successfully kept them with other triggers, lion fish, groupers, snappers, and puffers. Queens, clowns, and bluelines seem to be on an equal playing field with them. It always helps to add them last, but they will usually become comfortable enough in their environment and become very belligerent. I don't recommend putting them in with expensive fish. It sucks to see your 15 dollar fish kill your 100 dollar fish.

Morgs202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Australia
Undulates are one of the most aggressive ( but beautiful triggers) around. I wouldn't put them with other triggers, but some species of moray, such as fimbriated moray eels may be okay. I have also heard of them being kept with dogtooth puffers, coronation trout and coral cod. I certainly wouldn't mix them with any member of the scorpion fish family however, as they have a lot of trouble defending themselves against something with a small mouth, sharp teeth, and that is too big to fit in their own mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store