nice gar and bichirs for 155?

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
tank dimensions are 60L" x 26W" x 23H"

what are my options for gars. .. and if you know a typical price they might be let me know. i know florida and spotted are two options but not sure what typical prices would be on these either. just looking for a rough estimate within like 15 dollars of the actual price if possible.

so what are my other options or typical price for these puppies?

part two:

planning on also putting 2x bichirs in this tank whats everyones opinions on two that get along well and look good together?

open to ideas!! also open to other tank stocking ideas!

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
All poly's get along together but different sub-species won't interact together as well as when you get two of the same species.
In that tank I'd do maybe 2 floridas(about $30 a piece) and maybe 4 bichirs consisting of 2 delhezi and 2 polli's for maximum interaction and personality. And a really nice carnivorus pleco like a goldie L14.

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
Now that (above idea) would be a KILLER tank. What about a 3 beacon or scarlet pleco, couple of endlicheris, couple of delhezis, some predatory characins (that look like and are often commony called gar but aren't), and maybe couple of cihlids? There are soooo many cool predatory cichlids. Like, for example, the petenia splendida (red bay snook). Just a thought. I've included a picture of one below (but the flash washes out his true color, which is VERY orange with pearl white). On second thought, a cool knife fish would go very well instead (like, a Royal Clown Knife, maybe?).

100_0090.jpg

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
p.s. yes, that is some major streakage. Thanks for noticing.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
my two floridas were purchased at 7 inches each and cost $39 each. i have a 7 inch, fat senegal that went for $35. i also have a 3-incher that was purchased at petsmart for $5.

yesterday, you mentioned wanting a monster cat for ground level swimming. instead, i'm suggesting a fire or tire track eel.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
With a 60" tank I'd stray away from a endlicheri that gets half the tank size.
Dels and polli's will get about 14" leaving plenty of swimming room.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
I'd stick with Florida gars, you should be able to get them for between $10-$40 depending on how the shops near you are. As for bichirs, most of the common LFS bichirs should be OK (delhezi, senegal, palmas), agreed you might want to stay away from endlicheri as they do get big.

Disagree about the plecos though. Plecos often develop a taste for fish slime, and both gars and bichirs are common targets.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
CTU2fan;3634677; said:
I'd stick with Florida gars, you should be able to get them for between $10-$40 depending on how the shops near you are. As for bichirs, most of the common LFS bichirs should be OK (delhezi, senegal, palmas), agreed you might want to stay away from endlicheri as they do get big.

Disagree about the plecos though. Plecos often develop a taste for fish slime, and both gars and bichirs are common targets.
I've heard this too. ive heard gars and plecos together are nottt a good idea. heard of a good few timnes that didnt work as the pleco sucked the slime ..

i think ive completely decided against a lima shovelnose .. i might go with 2 or 3 bichirs .. either 2x sens .. a sen and a del, 2x sens and a del, something along those lines. either 2 or 3 .. getting most likely a florida gar possibly two for the tank. ive seen a couple of pics that i cant find now of gars that are generally a darker color .. like dark brown or closer to black that have some light spots on them. dunno what species they were though.

as for the eel idea im not a huge fan of eels. looked at alott of pics of fires and tires but just dont tickle my fancy.

keep the ideas comming. whats everyone think of the knife idea? .. possibility too. or what about some gt's or something for the middle? think theyd work?

keep the ideas coming.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
I myself have never been a knife person.
I just bought a BGK(black ghost knife) cause the girlfriend liked it and he is really an interesting fish. I hand fed him 5 minutes after I put him in the tank.

Edit... I have never witnessed any of my plecos sucking on my poly's. I can see carnivorous plecos maybe doing it but my gold nugget and goldies never have. I also have a royal pleco L191 he's a herbivore and I can jus not see him doing it either.
Many people feed their fish and leave their plecos to feed on the scraps. Maybe thats why they do it seeing they aren't getting fed their correct diet.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
vaine111;3635577; said:
I myself have never been a knife person.
I just bought a BGK(black ghost knife) cause the girlfriend liked it and he is really an interesting fish. I hand fed him 5 minutes after I put him in the tank.
thats what im thinking about. im not so struck on the royal clowns etc. the only knife i somewhat like is black ghost

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store