55 gallon vs 2 floor

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
Will a 55 gallon fish tank break through the 2nd floor of a 2 floor house?
Plz as many people as possible give me a yes or no answer, details would be nice. My mother doesn't believe that it wont break through the floor. so as many answers as possible plz.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I've had a 55g on the second floor. Just make sure its going across the floor supports, not along them.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
No it should be fine. A 55 weighs as much as two big people standing next to each other. My 55, 75, 25, and 20 are all on the first floor, but over the basement. If you are really worried, put it next to a wall and running perpendicular with the floor joists.

Mr. Grumpy Gills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
nebraska
should be fine. I had 2 75 gallon tanks in a second floor adpartment. they were across the room from each other though

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
I wouldn't start to worry until you get something bigger than a 125.
I have a 55,and a 30 with a 20 below it on a metal stank sitting next to each other on the second floor.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
ive had a 75g tank running on the 3rd, yes THIRD floor on my house. my house is 80-90 years old, creaks like hell, and shakes when someone walks around in it. yet i have no doubts in my mind, its strong enough to hold even more than it does now.

think about this, many people have extremely large dressers and furniture in their rooms on higher floors that easily weigh hundreds of pounds EMPTY, before adding another hundred or more pounds of clothes. people have had heavy as can be projection TVS on second and third floors of their houses for years. when was the last time you heard of a real heavy TV or dresser going through a floor?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
55G will be fine. I have a 75 upstairs.

KYeasting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
55 is fine. Engineers put 2 safety factors on buildings when they are designing them. One factor increases the potential load they design for, while the other reduces the effective strength of the materials. This gives you a two-fold safety net for designing. You will have no problems with a 55 on the second floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store