Cichla temensis "Orinoco"

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
Someone on this board wanted to see some true Venezuelan Cichla temensis, so here you have them. Enjoy.

More photos can be seen in the article that I wrote on them for the Buntbarsche Bulletin, the Official Journal of the American Cichlid Association back in August 2005 (#229).

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00026.JPG

mrnivlek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Sydney, Australia
very nice photos of the temensis

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
When you guys ask, "What makes them different." What are you talking about? When I say that these are Venezuelan temensis I am simply saying that these are temensis from Venezuela, nothing more, nothing less.

No Jed, these are not the ones in your tank....these were 16 inches each in these photos.

I have a few copies of the BB. PM me your address and I will mail you one.

Thanks guys.

Cichlidgeek

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
New Jersey
well, you said these are, "true" Venezuelan temensis, which I assumed made them "special" or "different".

I guess not.
Ahhh, gotcha. In a nutshell:
There has been, and still is, quite a lot of confusion as to what is actually Cichla temensis and what is another fish now known as Cichla sp. "lower Amazonas." The "temensis" from places such as all of Colombia, Venezuela, Rio Negro (and tributaries), and certain parts west of the confluence of the Rios Negro and Amazonas are "true" Cichla temensis while "temensis types" from places like the Rios Tapajos and Tocantins are actually the species "lower Amazonas."

Perhaps a clearer mind to the members here would be comparing the above pics, which are Cichla temensis to say, DM's, which were Cichla sp. "lower Amazonas" when he still housed them.

Cool??

EDIT: Just 'cause they got spots don't mean they be temensis :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store