rate melafix!

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
rate melafix!

on a scale from 1-5. and/or tell me why you would recomend it.

i need to get some tomorrow for my baby jardini. like in my other post he ripped his stomach on driftwood.

:popcorn:

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
they got damn expiration dates- I brought a gallon once before and they gave me expired one- so check it :)

I believe it doesn't hurt to try along with pimafix too.

but on the other hand good dose of salt does the trick as well too.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
5:
I bought some uaru A. that had been savaged by beiing put into the wrong tank in the shop. i decided to rescue them to give them a fighting chance. they had no tails left, just little stumps, and the rest of their fins were mangled.
i dosed them for a couple of months with melafix, no infection occurred despite the severity of the injuries, and fins showed growth and improvement in a week or two.
for other split fins and scrapes ive dealt with they have healed really quick when using melafix, other injuries ive thought not in need of treatment healed far more slowly.

i cant honestly tell you if it was the melafix or just good water quality or both but it seemed to do the job in the severe case. this was my first severe injury case ive dealt with so it may have been luck but i used melafix and i would again from that experience.

Reactions: RemainVayne

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Keep your water sufficiently agitated as it can deplete oxygen from what I know and have seen. It is an effective and seemingly non obtrusive medication. However not as strong as others.

I give it a three

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I've used it in situations where fish hae injuries, but along with lots of water changes, etc. so I can't say the melafix was the reason the fish get better, so I'll give a 3

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cichlaholics Anonymous;3639537; said:
I've used it in situations where fish hae injuries, but along with lots of water changes, etc. so I can't say the melafix was the reason the fish get better, so I'll give a 3
Same here but I keep it on hand and always use it if a fish should get some kind of body damage.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I give it a 4, helped repair some of my breeder angel's fins after fighting with their mate.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
I have a lot of soft water fish that really don't like salt, so I prefer to steer clear of that. So, I really like Melafix/Pimafix combo for a minor injury such as damaged fins. I do not rely on this medication to cure any diseases, but I think it acts a good preventative. I give it a 2.5

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
5.. melafix/pimafix combo for any bacterial/fungal infection i've run into thus far. I've used it on my Angels and Oscars to my fire and TT eels. I've found it to be potent and aggressive. It's the only medication i keep on hand at all times. Used properly this stuff imo is a "miracle worker" Extra aeration, and generally my first dose is 1/2 reccomended dose, then I go to full doses the following days. MOstly I use it on beat-up fins ect. But I've used it to treat velevet on my tire track eel, Platies that had a fairly aggressive case of fin-rot. all fish recovered fast and are healthy now. TBH I wish I would have had pictures of my TT.. he was covered in velvet about 1/2 his body. I had put a new peice of driftwood into the tank w/out thinking to QT it ect first... within' 48 hours I saw the velevet vanishing. and 72 he was fat and sassy eating like his old self. It did take another week to heal the skin damage ( there where places where it was peeling like sunburn =/, looking at him now you'de never guess he had it. I did a 25% QC on the tank before treatment.. and did not do another one until the follwoing week. which is pretty much my normal WC scedule on the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store