Help! betta horror

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
Not really a monster fish but he is a great fish, i have other monster fish though lol. I was typing on mfk and looked up at the tank, to see his head sticking through the output of the filter, so somehow he swam into the output, which is weird because the output is outputting water so he had to put some extreme force into it.

The debate is, do i ditch the filter or not. they hate current, he doesn't move much without the filter, i added some real plants today.

He is still swimming, just fed him, do you think this will happen again? i am afraid that it will happen after lights out and he will die.

Thanks

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Do you have some pantyhose or a mesh media bag or anything like that? You could wrap it over the filter output and secure it with a hair tie or zip tie or rubber band. That way he can't go up there anymore.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
^ I recommend doing the above or buying a sponge filter.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Well, it's your cycled filter, so it might be a bad idea to just get rid of it altogether. If you want to buy a sponge filter, and run that concurrently with the one you have for a few weeks in order to allow it to become seeded, then get rid of the other, you could. I wouldn't take it out without making provisions for the biological filter first.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Betta's hates water that has any movement or current. Just throw in some live plants and IAL(indian almond leaf) or BWE(black water extract) may also be used. Take out the filter if you want a happy betta. Just do water changed with aged water and add in some IAL or BWE. If your betta gets fin rot or any injuries...including diseases. Add in dead banana leaves...it's the #1 thing you can use.

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
All bettas don't hate water movement. I had mine in a 5 gal hex with the stock filter on it. He would swim up into the output, lay there for hours and let the water rush over him. When he had enough of his "spa" treatment he would swim down and lay on his anubias petite. He did it almost everyday and lived 5 years or so.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
snoopy65;3640739; said:
All bettas don't hate water movement. I had mine in a 5 gal hex with the stock filter on it. He would swim up into the output, lay there for hours and let the water rush over him. When he had enough of his "spa" treatment he would swim down and lay on his anubias petite. He did it almost everyday and lived 5 years or so.
Most of them do, and believe me on this. I'm a hardcore betta guy from fancies to fighters. Of course they will live that long if taken care of properly...bettas are not fish that just lay at one spot. If they are happy, they will be really active or at least swim and won't just stay at one spot for hours. Any master breeder in thailand, vietnam, indonesia, or singapore will tell you that water movement is probably not an ideal thing for a bettas home.
But hey, if you think that your betta is happy...im not going to judge you. :popcorn:

snoopy65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oh he does spend plenty of time swimming around and such. He just likes the water flowing over him too. When I said he laid, I didn't mean he laid non stop. He chases shrimp, flares at my children when they get too close to his tank, hunts, etc.

And yes I know most bettas don't like alot of water movement, but every once and a while you find a weird one like mine.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
snoopy65;3640803; said:
Oh he does spend plenty of time swimming around and such. He just likes the water flowing over him too. When I said he laid, I didn't mean he laid non stop. He chases shrimp, flares at my children when they get too close to his tank, hunts, etc.

And yes I know most bettas don't like alot of water movement, but every once and a while you find a weird one like mine.
That's nice, I wish I get a weird one like yours so I won't have to do water change. :cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store