effect of Lights on all night and sleep?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Lately i've been turning on my aquarium lights for my super red arowana.
its only about 8 inches
i turn it on when its getting dark already and turn it off when its morning,
just wondering if this will have any bad effect on arowana?since i notice my crossback arowana sleeps when the lights are turned off. but my red doesn't seem to sleep?

any experience/abservation with this?
will it have affect on growth? or health? now only on arowana but other fish as well?

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
The fish thinks it's still day time so they remain in motion, searching for food etc. It must be exausting, if you were constantly running around all day barely stopping and don't sleep you wouldn't grow well and probably not eat well. Get a timer, they will turn it on/off for you

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I don't know about arowanas. I leave one of my lights on all the time and the fish seem ok.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks :) So far my super red which has the lights on at night has good appettite, but i think i'll adjust the timer, maybe turn off the aquarium lights at 4am to give it 2-3 hours rest before sunrise

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
batang_mcdo;3641912; said:
thanks :) So far my super red which has the lights on at night has good appettite, but i think i'll adjust the timer, maybe turn off the aquarium lights at 4am to give it 2-3 hours rest before sunrise
2-3 hours is not sufficient, you need around 10-12 hours of sleep, so do the fish.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
I think you're messing with their biological clocks. It can't be good. In order for humans to function properly, we not only have to sleep, but we must enter into a deep sleep called R.E.M. (Rapid eye movement). Without it, we (Humans) can't survive. I'm not sayng that fish have the ability to enter into R.E.M. I've not ever heard of any clinical studies on fish sleeping. I'm just saying that it can't be healthy to keep a light on all night long and throw off their biological clocks.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks i stArted keeping the lights on when my aro was still small and it would be startled when the lights were off it seems to be more confident when lights are on also for arowanS lighting enhances their color

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
batang_mcdo;3642097; said:
thanks i stArted keeping the lights on when my aro was still small and it would be startled when the lights were off it seems to be more confident when lights are on also for arowanS lighting enhances their color

Cute . . . Almost reminds me of a child who's parents have to keep a night light on because the child is a afraid of the dark. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store