Lots of tiny BUGS!!!

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
yesterday, after doing wc, i noticed hundreds of tiny little bugs crawling inside the tank. they are not in the water but are along all the area that is not covered w/ water, including the top bracing piece of the acrylic tank. they are dark, brownish colored.

what are they? and are they harmful?

nubz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2009
port aransas texas
wierd...

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
do they Fly ? its very possible that its some kind of nat or fly that are breeding at the waters edge most likely 100% harmless unless your creeped out by bugs

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
killerfish;3644951; said:
do they Fly ? its very possible that its some kind of nat or fly that are breeding at the waters edge most likely 100% harmless unless your creeped out by bugs
I didn't take much time to observe them, but from what i see, they only crawl. and i just took a rag and swipe them all off. its just the first time i've ever noticed anything like this w/ my tanks.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Cichlaholics Anonymous;3645789; said:
are you sure it isn't just planaria?
Was thinking the same thing, are they white worm looking? If so cut back on your feeding and start doing more water changes.

KindredSpirit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2009
Sacramento, California
Def up your housekeeping on your tank. Feed less and vac up any left overs. I bet they are in your filters too ~ Cna you take a picture?

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
I think that I have those to. They hang out on my floating plants. They look like really small aphids, only brown.

KindredSpirit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2009
Sacramento, California
Hell No. I would just die. Just shoot me if any creature other than my fish was in my tank.

I could never ever put my hands and arms in there again!:eek:

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
I think I have these too. I recently washed down my whole 180 gallon, meaning I tore everything down, washed with HOT water and then set up again. Done cycling for almost 1.5 months now and noticed I have these little bug things too. They hang around the surface of the water and along the edges of the glass. Do you guys notice them hopping around on the surface? I wonder what they are...I do water checks and everything and all come out perfect, but I just have these little things in there too....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store