10 gallon nano setup advice

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
So this will be my first salt tank. unfortunately due to my room size, i am limiting myself to a 10 gallon tank even though i know it will be much more difficult. Heres the basics that I have researched i need. Let me know what you think or if you have any advice

1. Instant Ocean Salt
2. Live Sand (20 pounds)
3. Live rock (15 pounds)
4. Will eventually have a HO light system but not until the tank is ready for basic corals.
5. Hydrometer
6. Koralia Powerhead with 400 GPH
7. Saltwater testing kit
8. Thermometer

I have a few questions:
1. I dont see a chord for hte power head, does it run on battery?
2. Whats the difference between a hydrometer and refractometer
3. Does it matter which type of live rock i buy?

Fish:
1. Scooter Blenny
2. Mandarin goby
3. Firefish
4. hermit crab cleanup crew

I know this amount of fish is probably pushing it, let me know what you think.

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Electric45;3646877; said:
So this will be my first salt tank. unfortunately due to my room size, i am limiting myself to a 10 gallon tank even though i know it will be much more difficult. Heres the basics that I have researched i need. Let me know what you think or if you have any advice

1. Instant Ocean Salt
2. Live Sand (20 pounds)
3. Live rock (15 pounds)
4. Will eventually have a HO light system but not until the tank is ready for basic corals.
5. Hydrometer
6. Koralia Powerhead with 400 GPH
7. Saltwater testing kit
8. Thermometer

Don't forget a good heater but you basically have the right stuff there. If your running coral you may want to look into to a Protein Skimmer. Maybe a nice HOB?

I have a few questions:
1. I dont see a chord for hte power head, does it run on battery?
You got me here I don't use one
2. Whats the difference between a hydrometer and refractometer
Refractometer is more accurate and more expensive, some people say it's worth it myself my hydrometer hasn't failed me yet so I stick with what I know.
3. Does it matter which type of live rock i buy?
It's up to personnel choice the only difference is looks.

Fish:
1. Scooter Blenny
Nice choice
2. Mandarin goby
Your not really pushing it your actually keeping it but you do have one problem. Mandarin need an established tank to be able to feed properly and then on top of that they will usually eat all their food within a week and starve to death. I know some places sell some have been known to take prepared but more prefer live amd will refuse and starve. That's why they have one of the highest morality rates, It is possible to keep but it's tough.
3. Firefish
Beautiful fish and good choice, make sure you look at the Purple Firefish saw one the other day that completely blew all the other SW fish around them out of the water in terms of color.
4. hermit crab cleanup crew
Don't forget a few snails

I know this amount of fish is probably pushing it, let me know what you think.
Your not really pushing it your actually keeping it about right, I would venture to say add a Gramma or Damsel quite possibly a small Clown?
Hope that helps

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Looks good. :) Just make sure all the fish and inverts have their own little area of territory by placing lots of caves and hiding places.

russll_13

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2009
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Careful if you are going to add a damsel they can get aggressive.

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
Thanks a lot for the help guys, I have a lot of researching still to do, along with getting the money for all of this. I do have a HOB filter and a heater already. I have all the basics of my old freshwater setup that I will be reusing. I just posted the stuff i need to get still. About the mandarin, I have a really nice/high quality but also expensive pet shop around here. Im pretty sure they dont feed live in any of their stuff and they do have mandarains so hopefully i can get one from there. And dont worry, I will not be adding anyfish until my tank has been setup for a decent amount of time. I want to make sure its all good before I do anything except snails/hermit crabs.

Sir-KS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
NYC Queens/Thailand
GO TO YOUR LFS AND SEE YOU YOU CAN BUY 10GAL OF SALTWATER... IF U GET LUCKY THEY MIGHT GIVE IT 4 FREE

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
dont get a damsel no need to be stuck with the damsel curse the powerhead in the tank I assume is a bio-cube or nano cube of some kind should be the same chord as the light and so on just need's to be switched on or if its a power-head that you bought and there is no cord maybe someone cut it off.

mr.reef24

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
do not get a dragonette they need 55gal + for a healthy amount of pods

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store