am I tempting disaster...

DarkStorm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Calgary
Just realised today that I could possibly be due for an electrical fire. I wanted to know what you think and do for your set ups.
my main tank runs 2 fx5, 2 ac110 and a 404. as well 2 heaters and 3 led panels lighting. all in all 10 plugs going to 2. do others do this im thinking its not good. but what do I do?. call an electrician an have some plugs run?. id hate to see my house filled with extension cords.. any advice please.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
If you add up the amperage of each device on the circuit and compare against the breaker of fuse, that will tell you where you're at. Also, gauge of wire used in your house and distance from the junction are factors as well.

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
If you use a set of good quality multi tap you should be fine. Make sure you get one with a built in GFCI. The main danger is if the house electrical system is old or badly installed. Having extension cords running through the house is a fire hazard so avoid that.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
I think you should be fine. One time my friend's dad plugged 33 strands of christmas lights in one outlet. If that didn't start a fire I don't think anything can.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
i had the same issue as you when my 250g was running. all my fishtank plugs, plus my washer and dryer were running off one outlet. I found a union electrician from craigslist that did side work, and for $50 he came and put in a new 4 outlet breaker for me, and was in and out in less than 30 mins.

personally, even with adding up the watts used, it dident feel safe anymore having so many plugs from just 2 outlets. if you cna sleep better at night knowing for 110% you wont cause a fire (and who wouldent sleep better) it may be worth the couple bucks to have another outlet installed into your wall

Bee0912

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2009
Ohio
gt1009;3647314; said:
I think you should be fine. One time my friend's dad plugged 33 strands of christmas lights in one outlet. If that didn't start a fire I don't think anything can.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
As long as you're below the rated amperage for the circuit, the house wiring and circuit breaker don't care if it's coming from one device, or 57849 devices. The danger comes from bad connections from poor quality power strips, extension cords, adapter plugs, etc. Get a good quality power strip with a built in GFCI and plug everything into that, and you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store