fast flow

bean

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2009
uk
hello everyone,im looking for tropical fish that can live in 30g tank and like fast flow? got fluval 5x5 from old oscar tank which i know is over the top but had it spare so thought why not! is there any reason i shouldnt over filter? so anyone know where to find lists of fish that like fast flow? thanks

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Idk about fast flow but i do know some rlly cool fish to put in there would be cordoya catfish tiger barbs cherry barbs u could do 4 panda and 4 albino and 5 tiger barbs and 4 cherry barbs

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
Why not just throttle back the flow a bit? I don't own an FX5 myself, but I believe you can cut back on the flow rate without damaging the pump.

impeza1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
hanover, mn
I own an fx5 and I don't know that there is a way of reducing the flow of it at all...so may be out of luck there...but a stream setup would be cool!!! I know catfish like it and i know many fish love faster current...and shouldn't be a problem with overfiltering...i don't think there is such a thing...but you should be fine!!

bean

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2009
uk
ok im thinking either...
6 cherry barb
6 gold barb
3 albino cories
5 cherry shrimp

or

8 dwarf rainbows
3 ottos
3 albino cories

what do you think advice welcome,if u think overstocked then please say.... tank not that long 80cm x 35cm x 45cm so stream prob out?? i can reduce speed of water coming out of spray bar by drilling bigger holes but would prefer not to if i can.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
impeza1;3650096; said:
I own an fx5 and I don't know that there is a way of reducing the flow of it at all...so may be out of luck there...

You can throttle the flow with the shutoff valves. It says so right in the manual.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
AquaStop Valves
The AquaStop valve makes maintenance easy by allowing you to stop the water flow with an easy 90-degree turn of the valve lever. This means you can separate the hosing from the filter in one step. The valve lever can also be used to regulate water flow with no harm to the motor or its components. Three Valves are provided; one for the intake, one for the output and one to be used to drain the filter under certain circumstances during the maintenance process.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
Again, I don't own one, but generally speaking, you want to throttle only on the outlet side of a centrifugal pump. If you throttle the inlet, you could cause the pump to cavitate (noisy, possible damage)

bean

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2009
uk
hi bob thanks i have just done this and its gone from massive twister capable of lifting cows to smaller twister capable of lifting cats!! lol dont know if ive got super powerful filter or what! maybe all 5x5 are this strong?,tested with some flake food before slowing flow down (dont have manual) and food went straight to inlet and was gone in 3 secs,but now food spins about a bit on top before heading to inlet so lasts about 20 secs,hope fish eat as fast as oscars do because if they hang around the food will be gone!! hmmm might drill bigger holes me thinks.........what do you think of stocking im used to big fish that need lots of room so not sure how many small fish to keep in there??. thanks for help slowing it down but still think its better if i go for fish who dont mind mini twisters :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store