Serpae tetra

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
I got 6 of them in a 29 gallon with 5 ottos. The serpae are CONSTANTLY nipping at eachother but wont dare to touch the ottos, or even recagnize that they are there. I was wondering if it is ok that they are doing this. They arent doing an damage to eachother at all but it would be extremely stressful to have someone poking me 24/7. what should i do? also When i put my fluval filter tube above the water, the bubbles it makes stay at the top of the water and dont pop. I made a 98% water change the other day ( I moved so I had to drain the water, it is well cycled as it has live plants and the gravel is uncleaned from before). thx

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
bump

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
They are quite nippy. I'd suggest getting more. I have 23 and they tend to leave each other alone for the most part. There's still some nipping going on, but it's just them. It helps spread the aggression around.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
this may be crazy, but tetras by nature eat ticks and other parasites off the skin of animals and humans. So what if their "nipping" is actually them eating parasites off of each other? Any thoughts?

edit: i.e. the more healthy the ecosystem, the less nipping seen amongst these fish.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
They're indeed nippy by nature regardless of the circumstances. Adding more will help disperse the aggression but you also need to watch out for their other tankmates who are at risk being harassed constantly.

It is ironic long-finned varieties exist as they barely can keep their flamboyant fins intact.

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
what kinda fish can i put with them? i was thinking about 3 rams, 4-5 corys, MAYBE 8 cardinal tetra and MAYBE an angelfish, or a school of zebra danios . BUT i reallllly want a main fish. like the eyecatcher. thx guys.

Nyvar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
Alexandria, VA
You might consider blood fins. I have a 55 with about a dozen red serpae and a dozen blood fins. I like the silver and red with the black and red. They all get along fine, and share with 2 angels. However I wouldn't put an angel in a 29. These two are about 8 months old and easily 6" top to bottom. In another 55 I have two angels about 3 years old and one is an easy 9".

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
like everyone else said, serpae do better in larger groups.. i keep them in a small community with swordtails, head and tail lights, cory cats, and some other barbs..

as far as the bubbling, you could have added too much dechlor when you filled the tank back up..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store