hhey are u in college? ave in ur dormroom tank

Ichthyotopia

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
NJ
im goin to college next year and i want to bring some fish with me. :D
so i was wondering wat some of u guys have done.

post how big the tank is and wats in it.

Mercury2234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hmm...I have graduated from college about 2 years ago; I got to warn you, unless you are planning a small tank (10g) I would highly recommend not to bring a (29g+); First, the dorm rooms are MINISCULE, not to mention you would most likely share it with a roommate.

Also, not sure about your campus, but I believe they close the dorms on big holidays like thanksgiving, Christmas. Lastly, every 9 months or so, you will have to move the tank as you will move every 2 semester.

I would honestly wait until you move off campus and get your apartment/house (highly recommended, much cheaper too).

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
I had a tank through college, kept it on my desk. First was a 10g then did a 20g long. Water changes involved filling a 5g bucket in the shower and walking down the hall with it. Never had any issues but i would do a nano reef of nano planted if i were to do it over again.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
persoanlly i'd do a peacock mantis shrimp

stewnew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Orlando Florida
it depends on dorm vs off campus
most dorms have limits on size... I had 3 10 gallon tanks lol
now im off campus with a 55 of africans... mbuna haps and peacocks

cant figure out the whole picture thing lol

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I have a nice 135 gal tank and I am in student housing (not dorm but for students). It is basically a 1 bedroom apt for any students attending the zoo program that I am going to so because of the nature of the program, they had to allow pets.

indiana.dutton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
Connecticut
I am at boarding school and have a 29 with a 20L below it with guppies and loaches, works great IF YOU HAVE A ROOM MATE YOU MUST USE A NEARLY SILENT FILTER! they get pissed. As for vacations I have two 55 gallon heaters that I put in in addition to my regular heaters and a timed feeder, and put the lights on timers.

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
I've got a ten gallon planted in my room at school. It's not too bad to maintain, but it kinda stinks up the room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store