African Knife Fish VS Banded Leporinus

Ravenfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
us army
I have a 65gal angled front tank that has been working as a community tank for about 6 months about 2 months ago i added a brown African knife fish to the works and about 2 weeks ago I added 2 tinfoil barbs and a Banded Leporinus well it seems like the Leporinus and the Knife fish(whom i have named Khan....seemed appropriate name for him :p) seem to be haveing some scuffles the knife fish has a few sores on his right side there are 3 logs in the tank and a good bit of vegetation i am not sure what to do i don't want the Leporinus to kill the knife fish he is one of the few i have ever seen come out but I don't want khan to kill the Leporinus he was exceptionally hard to find. Any ideas on what to do to the tank to minimize the fighting?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
you might want to unfortunately move the leporinus to a bigger tank away from the others, as it will continue to be very aggressive and eventually too big for the tank.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
You are mixing African and South American fish. Troubles is what you should expect.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
kdrun76;3657071; said:
You are mixing African and South American fish. Troubles is what you should expect.
that is quite a generalization and isn't necessarily accurate. plenty of people mix new world cichlid for example, with polypterus

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Cichlaholics Anonymous;3657098; said:
that is quite a generalization and isn't necessarily accurate. plenty of people mix new world cichlid for example, with polypterus

True enough, and I have a pleco in a tank with a tilapia. You are right it was too general of a statement. I do think it applies to this situation though.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
kdrun76;3657145; said:
True enough, and I have a pleco in a tank with a tilapia. You are right it was too general of a statement. I do think it applies to this situation though.
leporinus can be a PITA, but they can be a PITA to other south american species too, it has little to do with their being from different continents

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
kdrun76;3657071; said:
lmao, try again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store