Stupid people...

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
So I left for two days to go to Gainesville for thanksgiving, left my roommate in charge of feeding my animals. I just got home at 12:30am Saturday morning and my filters are completely clogged with fish food and there's tons of it floating around in ALL SIX OF MY FISH TANKS, not to mention my waters totally foggy. I just did a w/c on everyone before I left... I'm pissed, my bag of brand spankin' new hakari is about gone. I just spent 20minutes fishing all the excess food out, I'll just have to do w/c AGAIN in the morning. Thankfully everyone else is okay. I had a feeling I needed to get home early.

Sorry, I'm just letting off some steam to people who understand... But seriously how hard is it to feed fish??????

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
That sucks man.

Your fish probably could have lived 2 days without you. Trust no one. Some people dont realize that fish can go more than a day without food..

If not, next time arrange the food amounts like they are old people's pills and leave a detailed note with a daily checklist.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I always put a 'set of' feeding in a bag and mark each one for each feeding... as non fish people don't have a clue

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
Yeah, I should have been more specific... And I know they can go awhile without eating but I figured he couldn't possibly mess that up, he's seen me feed them a zillion times. Totally agree Warborg about non fish people. I feel the worst for my GSP because his tank was littered with hakari and he hates the stuff, poor little bastard. I bet he was so upset to have so much food he didn't want to eat. If my room mate fed him his actual food he be a baseball by the time I got home.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
When I left for school I made up a post it note for each tank detailing exactly how much of each kind of food to feed it and exactly how often. I even went down to exact numbers of hikari pellets.

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
You should be glad they didnt feed your gsp what he needed, he might have popped.

nubz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2009
port aransas texas
i left for tow weeks for camp... and left my parents incharge of my nano reef! i left the salinity at 1.018 and when i came back it was at 1.031!!!! (for all you "non reefers" thats a VERY big change of saltiness!) they didnt kill my corals ( not evevn my colts!)or my clown though. i lucked out. i left my grandma to take care of my 55 during a ski trip and i told her not to worry bout my eel until the third day... she waited until the sixth day!!!! needless to say he was super aggressive and ended up clmbing the feeding stick. my grams threw the stick back into the tank and it stayed their until my return a week later. it took me two weeks to get him healthy again and now he is growing a quarter inch a month!!!

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Once my sister poured the whole container of food into a 5 gallon betta container. The betta was as big as a foot ball and there was 1in of food on the bottom and 1in of food floating on the surface.....
Arrrgh little sisters!!

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I find it odd that people seem to get enraged when entrusting the care of their pets to non-aquarists, who then cause disaster. It is not "obvious" or "common sense" to know how to maintain an aquarium.

When I left for school I made up a post it note for each tank detailing exactly how much of each kind of food to feed it and exactly how often. I even went down to exact numbers of hikari pellets.
This ^^ last time I went on vacation, each tank had a post-it with a specific food type and a number of food scoops to add (with three different size scoops). Seemed to work fine.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
if its up to a week i bulk them up for a coupole of weeks heading up to it then just leave them. they can go without.
more than a week i fill egg cups with the amount i want used and leave a specific set of instructions. one cup per day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store