Stock selection help requested for odd shape tank

kokosnood

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Santa Ynez, CA
I recently got another craigslist freebie tank. It is a very strange size--8 feet long, 2 feet wide, BUT only 1 foot deep. The guy was going to raise coral frags in it. It has a crack and the support piece across the top is broken; but it is reparable. It has 2 large holes drilled in the bottom; and came with 1 bulkhead--so I will have to cover one hole or buy a pricey bulkhead.

What would you'all put in such a shallow tank? The length and width are great. My first thought was FW stingrays; but they are illegal here in CA.

I also am very interested in getting started with Arowana (silver or black). Do they need more depth? Is 8' x 2' enough surface area?

Other than the crack and the broken top support, the tank is in good shape--very clean. It's surprisingly light. I guess with so little depth it doesn't need thick glass.

Thanks,
s

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
one of my local fish stores had a ray display tank of similar dimensions. rays are bottom dwellers, so a tank of those dimensions is perfect for rays or any other bottom dwellers. the depth of one foot is perfect.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Hmm, the 1 foot depth makes things really interesting, as most large cichlids would probably be out of the question there. Honestly rays are about the only oddball I can think of right now, and you unfortuantely can't keep those. Arowana would probably benefit from a deeper tank also. Maybe make it into a cool catfish tank.

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
bichirs?

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
rays for sure

Thow428

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
New Jersey
Tire track eels, or fire eels would be cool in such a long and wide tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store