Pellet training predtory fish; tips on food and techniques

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
I was at my local store and saw that they have game fish chow and I was wondering if my fish would eat it. My bass are objective to any pellets I have to feed them minnows, crawdads, and feeder fish but I know it is possible to train them and they associate me with food enough now that I think I could do it myslef. I was wondering if you guys could offer any advice on what foods and methods I can use to get m fish to eat pellets and the sort. let me know, I have tried throwing pellets in simultaneously with fish and the best I can do is get them to hit it but they always spit it out.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
live > Frozen/fresh dead > pellets ... seems to work best for me. once you can get them offa live and onto frozen.. pre-soaking pellets w/ the thawed frozen foods such as bloodworms, or smelt/silversides ect. tends to help stimulate a feeding response ime. I've used this method w/ various SW and FW fish to varying degrees.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
first you have to discontinue feeding live

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
i have had many predator fish and they all ate pellet food. Currently my 15 inch aro is still eating pellets and he loves it. Stop feeding live food. Live food should really be a treat to your fish until other foods become too small for them. The easy way would be to start giving them nothing but frozen food but if you really want them to eat pellets then starve them a little. Don't feed them for a few days, now this may cause them to get aggressive towards one another so drop the temp in your tank a little bit. Eventually they will see the pellets and eat them just to please their stomachs and then they will start taking them all the time. But if they don't then it may be too late to feed pellets so then go with the frozen food. Hope this helps.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
thanks guys, appreciate the advice, keep em coming if youd like. i think youre right, my problem is is i use live food as well, i think i need to hold off for a while and see if theyll resort to pellets.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
BALLER34IG;3658564; said:
i have had many predator fish and they all ate pellet food. Currently my 15 inch aro is still eating pellets and he loves it. Stop feeding live food. Live food should really be a treat to your fish until other foods become too small for them. The easy way would be to start giving them nothing but frozen food but if you really want them to eat pellets then starve them a little. Don't feed them for a few days, now this may cause them to get aggressive towards one another so drop the temp in your tank a little bit. Eventually they will see the pellets and eat them just to please their stomachs and then they will start taking them all the time. But if they don't then it may be too late to feed pellets so then go with the frozen food. Hope this helps.
Whats the longest i should go if my fish don't eat?

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
once again thanks guys. I'll keep ya posted on any progress

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on pellets i should try, any that youve found your fish really enjoy

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hikari makes some of the best pellet food out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store