Really messed up....

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
Friend of mine owns a fish store and carries some very large fish. A guy comes in with a 5 or 10 gallon pale and says i got something good for you. My friend looks in and sees a 2 1/2 foot silver aro. He says holy crap how did you get him in that pale. My friend dumps the fish in his 400 gallon quarantine showcase tank and looks the fish over and its seems to be in good health. He gives the $150 credit. He said he wanted to do something new in his 75 gallon tank. Now when i heard that the red flag went up in my head. The guy used up his credit plus about an extra 40 bucks. My friend had the fish sold and was waiting for the customer to pick it up. The day of pick up he opened the store and noticed the aro acting funny. He tried feeding and it wouldnt eat. Long story short the aro died 2 hours later and he hasnt seen the since. This happened 2 weeks ago. The guy spend some money so he screwed my friend out of about $110. What do you guys think of this?

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
Awwww man !! that is harsh what did t die of? it was fine when your friend put it in the 400 gallon tank ? wonder if he ruptured something cramed into the bucket like that ? man if I was your friend I would be looking for him to step in again , he must have been a local or how would of he known about your friends shop ?

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
your friends fault for not noticing anything. not to sound offensive but when he agrees to take it, it's his respinsibility

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Kinda screwed up but who knows why the aro died. Could be your friends fault as much as the guy who brought it in. Maybe the aro wasnt acclimatized right? I dont know, seems like a done deal, it wasnt like it was dying in the pale was it? If it died 2 hours later it would seem like it was shocked/stressed cause it wasnt acclimatized right. But I can tell you the guy who caught it and stuffed it in the pale surely stressed it too, in this case your friend should of declined.

He might of thought he was getting a deal but he loss in the end. Maybe your friend should not take trade ins cause they are too risky.

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
I saw the fish i was a beautiful fish. Swam fine and ate. He had it for about 2 weeks. his tanks are mint and he found nothing that could the fish in his tank. It was with a 2 foot tiger shovelnose that in my eyes could hurt anything its too nice of a fish and a few other large fish. It was weird. My friend was pissed and so was the customer who wanted to buy it

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Caveat emptor works both ways. Fortunately for the store, $150 credit cost him about $50 due to the normal markup of livestock at the retail level. And, most of the loss was absorbed by the customer making another purchase addition to the credit. Apparently, the dealer had the aro for a while since there was time to sell it and hold it for a customer. Since it looked good when he accepted the trade in, what could have developed while the aro was in the 400?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
BALLER34IG;3658620; said:
I saw the fish i was a beautiful fish. Swam fine and ate. He had it for about 2 weeks. his tanks are mint and he found nothing that could the fish in his tank. It was with a 2 foot tiger shovelnose that in my eyes could hurt anything its too nice of a fish and a few other large fish. It was weird. My friend was pissed and so was the customer who wanted to buy it

Whoa, he had it for 2 weeks? Its a done deal your friend loss, the seller is not obligated anymore.

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
I said the same thing about his tank but i dont think he did anything. I will say it was very twitchy tho but i thought nothing of it cuz my 15 inch aro does the same thing and is healthy. we arent aro experts so anyones guess is as good as mine

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
BALLER34IG;3658628; said:
I said the same thing about his tank but i dont think he did anything. I will say it was very twitchy tho but i thought nothing of it cuz my 15 inch aro does the same thing and is healthy. we arent aro experts so anyones guess is as good as mine

Your friend had it two weeks, the seller is off the hook IMO. Just because something dies, you cant be making excuses later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store