Aquarium Medicine Dyed

Aerious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Hey fellas, I used a certain type of medicine to fix my fin rot problem on my neons and discus, and unfortunetly the tank went from a nice combination of colorings, to a strong neon glow.

My first guess is that the fake plants i put in were mostly green so they were radiating a green glow. (This was months after the medicine and many water changes)

I figured out the medicine in the water is gone but the dye remained on the decorations (after i moved a white skull decoration from one tank to another and realized it had a mild green tone on the white).

I took out all the decoration and am slowly soaking it out , cleaned the tank out, keeping watching on the fish however even with nothing in the water still is tinted green, my guess is the glass stained, and I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the green glow without having to remove the fish (i got no spare tank to place 2 discus and 15 neons). And should i add them to other tanks it might stress them out and the inhabitants of those tanks too.

Need help!:nilly:

BALLER34IG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
NEW YORK
thats a new one on me. not sure what to do.idk if it stained the class. did u take the carbon out of the filters when you put the meds in

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Charcoal and frequent water changes should get rid of any stained water. I doubt the glass is stained unless it was etched or scratched before you used the medication.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
did you read the package before you used whatever product you used?
if you did and it didnt say anything about giving the tank a "chernobyl" look then i would get on the waterchanges asap

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Which medicine did you use? I never had that problem with acriflavine, malachite green, methylene blue, etc. Of course, the silicon sealant would stain which is understandable but it is impossible with glass.

Aerious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Richmond Hill, Ontario
I did some more water changes and the water improved, you guys were right the glass was not stained, i figured this out when i dropped alot of the water and looking through the glass the wall behind it was perfectly clear. The problem is the decoration stained, worst of all larger rocks (not large but well above pebel size). It's ironic you should mention chernobyl. The gravel i use is black and when i put some of the larger rocks back in, they literally glowed. Some of the decorations got pained as well, which combined with the rocks gave the cheesy neuclear movie look. The carbon fixed the water didn't fix the decor unfourtunetly.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Carbon will not remove the stains from the decorations. Depending on the decorations you have, they will remain stained for a long time. This is why in some cases, we recommend using hospital tanks when using dyed meds to avoid them staining decorations vulnerable to them aside from the fact, most of these meds can destroy biological filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store