Best FW algae eaters?

Aerious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Richmond Hill, Ontario
I've had ups and downs with algae eaters, some make it disapear in an instant, others take many weeks even months sometimes to no success.

Post your best algae eaters and let's compare who does the job best.

For me so far...

The top guy is the

Beaufortia kweichowensis
- also known as the Butterfly loach, I've had this guy do miracles in a matter of hours really, i've had one tank where i couldnt read the temperature because the glass was so green, I put him in, by morning it was completely clear.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
i'd say my flagtail does a good job in keeping my tank free from algae.

Nyvar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
Alexandria, VA
I'll second CA's rec, not only because I have a thing for plecs, but they don't require the specialized set up hillstream loaches do.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
peewee;3659251; said:
i'd say my flagtail does a good job in keeping my tank free from algae.
I'd have to agree. I actually just got another baby flagtail yesterday to put in my 75 when I set it back up (not permanently, just until he outgrows it). There is a dramatic difference in my 150 from one side of the divider to the other. The side with my 7" flagtail is always spotless and the side without I have to keep on the algae scraping or I can't see the fish. When I drained down the 75 that the flagtail used to be in, you could see his lip prints on every square inch of the dry glass.

Nik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
USA
here's my top ten:
1. Banded tiger loach
2. Dojo loach
3. Tiger Botia
4. Butterfly loach
5. Siamese Algae eater
6. Otocinclus
7. Common plec
8. Bristlenose plec
9. Twig catfish
10. False Siamese algae eater

Also, corys could be included but they just don't eat enough of the algae, not that they dont eat it.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
problem with plecs is that the poop too much. yes they are effective but they also have a lot of waste.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
peewee;3659814; said:
problem with plecs is that the poop too much. yes they are effective but they also have a lot of waste.
Seconded. Once my 9" wild-caught common pleco figured out how to eat cichlid pellets he started having enormous poops. The largest so far is over 3 feet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store