Alligator Gar Size

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
I have read many posts here saying gator gar can get to over 5 feet in a home aquarium, but I have never seen gator gar that big in a home aquarium myself. Just interested in what the biggest gator gar you guys have ever kept in a tank environment is.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Funny you ask this question because I feel that most people get rid of them after they hit 2 feet. There is someone on here who is one of the main Gar guys here (Xander I think, could be wrong) who said they have never kept them past the 2foot/2 year mark. Not sure what the thinking is behind this or if they fish has just become too much hassle to keep.
My boy is a healthy 27 inches and I plan on keeping him forever. :headbang2

yama

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
nashville
Well for me mine is 24in now! He is now attacking fish way to big for him to eat. I thought these fish were just predatory. I now see that it may have an aggressive streak. I've heard they can reach large sizes but nothing about attacking larger cichlids. Not happy about these events. Love the fish just cant have him killing my major cast members. I have them in a 400gal pond! Dont know what his issue is. LOL

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
will prolly have to go bigger. will prolly get up to about the 5-6 foot range if you provide them enough space. aggression means that they need more space, hands down..... your pond may be 400gl, but your gar says otherwise.

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
Spatula;3662937; said:
Funny you ask this question because I feel that most people get rid of them after they hit 2 feet.
I agree. I think people usually make decision whether to get rid of it or keep it for life when the gator gar hits 2'. I ask the question in the first place because there is a lfs where they always keep several gartor gars in their 9'x9' pool for display. The gars have been there for as long as I can remember, but I have never seen any of them reaches 4', let alone over 5'. I wonder whether there is anyone who actually has ever raised his gars to over 5' in a home aquarium.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
m245;3664285; said:
I agree. I think people usually make decision whether to get rid of it or keep it for life when the gator gar hits 2'. I ask the question in the first place because there is a lfs where they always keep several gartor gars in their 9'x9' pool for display. The gars have been there for as long as I can remember, but I have never seen any of them reaches 4', let alone over 5'. I wonder whether there is anyone who actually has ever raised his gars to over 5' in a home aquarium.
the reason they wont hit 4 feet in a 9x9 pond is that it is too small for them to do so in. the tank would have to be enormous, hence why most ppl look to an outdoor pond to house them. the outside wont hurt them

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
nitrofish1;3664291; said:
the reason they wont hit 4 feet in a 9x9 pond is that it is too small for them to do so in. the tank would have to be enormous, hence why most ppl look to an outdoor pond to house them. the outside wont hurt them
I am interested in the size of gator gar raised in an indoor home aquarium. Outdoor pond can mean unlimited space (relatively speaking) so it is not such a surprise if a gar hits 5' in an outdoor pond. As in an indoor home aquarium, space is usually limited (not many people can afford to build a 20'x20' in their living room!), will the gars stay below 4' long all their life if kept in such an indoor environment?

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
m245;3664439; said:
I am interested in the size of gator gar raised in an indoor home aquarium. Outdoor pond can mean unlimited space (relatively speaking) so it is not such a surprise if a gar hits 5' in an outdoor pond. As in an indoor home aquarium, space is usually limited (not many people can afford to build a 20'x20' in their living room!), will the gars stay below 4' long all their life if kept in such an indoor environment?
doing this will stunt the gars growth, and should not be done, as it is inhumane for the fish. if you want gar in your home, go with the smaller varieties. if you cannot provide for such a fish indoors or out, then don't buy it. gator gars can reach up to 15 feet in the wild, and kept in a small tank its entire life to keep it small is cruel.

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
I agree with nitrofish1 toally all you have to do is go to you tube and type in alligator gar in the search bar and look at some of them monsters in the wildif you wanted one the most economical way to keep one is outdoors in a pond to keep in for life in a indoor tank would be cruel

timskie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
lancashire
yama;3663831; said:
Well for me mine is 24in now! He is now attacking fish way to big for him to eat. I thought these fish were just predatory. I now see that it may have an aggressive streak. I've heard they can reach large sizes but nothing about attacking larger cichlids. Not happy about these events. Love the fish just cant have him killing my major cast members. I have them in a 400gal pond! Dont know what his issue is. LOL
Maybe territory

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store