Whens should one kill their fish?

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
I have had a previous thread about my male Kribensis lump on his head. It has gotten far worse now and his eyes r bulging out, his head has gotten larger and it is now bright red like exposed flesh. Heres the best pics i could find. When is the point that you all believe one should euthanize ones fish? Its really hard to see him recovering from this.

PB290278.JPG

PB290277.JPG

PB290279.JPG

FishManMoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
NY
Well you never know if he can make a miraculous recovery...these things do happen you know.

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
When they lose so much condition or become so listless that a turn around is pretty much impossible and they are obviously suffering, I hate to give up on an animal.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If my eye was all goofy but I could still eat and was not in aganising pain... I surely hope my doctor/caregiver doesn't throw me to the lions...

But that is coming from a guy who culled about 400 fish this evenign because they were the wrong color...

If your the type who feels good about his/her self for savign a life, then by all means save a life! But if the fish is in the way or is preventing you from enjoying your hobby, don't feel bad if you squash it's lil head (or better yet use it as food for something else).

Sure the humaitarian view is to save it... but keep in mind those which are born in nature are born into a very brutal life that almost always ends up being food for something bigger...

Electric45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
United states
Well I think hes going to pass away for sure. He seems to be just resting on the bottom. His head is so puffed up im thinking he must have internal bleeding inside his head or something. He doesnt move from his position, his left eye is completely bulged and red. This is a pretty nasty, horrific sight to look at but i guess thats part of the hobby. You gain a certain respect for life through keeping fish in my opinion. And i wish he would have had a better one, but chances are he isnt going to make it.

david17

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
Panama
liked NC post, keeping it real.

i would wait a little more becuse the eyes are still there i think.

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
if i have a fish in trouble and it isnt something contagious, i dont throw it to the lions, i throw it to the rays, the water conditions in that tank are perfect, so if it is going to recover that is the place to do it, however, the rays have a chance for a snack

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store