Question this.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I have been keeping fish for a short time just under two years.

I have lost fish due to poor water, I have lost fish to carelessness, and to DIY projects. So as my signature says, each day I learn I have more to learn.

Here is my discussion topic.

Do you find that your still learning? Do you still make mistakes that you could have avoided?

Given those questions do you feel bad about these mistakes, or are happy to have learned from them; so you can help yourself and others.

I used to feel bad about the fish I have lost, but the more I think about it, I appreciate their sacrifice so that I can care for future fish better; and help others. Since the start of my hobby I have had around 30 fish, I am now down to 4.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I think when you stop learning... you start taking your knowledge for granted. Thats a general belief in life for me. not just the hobby. I always hate to lose a fish, but I always try and learn why, how, and what I coulda done better, or instead. And yes I still make bonehead mistakes in the hobby, keeping a fishtank is like brushing my teeth. somethign I've done so long. I don't think about set-up, filtration, lighting, compatability much anymore. It's not arrogance, it's just tapping into the stored bank and rifleing threw it. If I don't know something I ask. TBH I'm use to being the one asked.. not vise versa.. and I've met alot of people on here I would gladly ask questions of certain species about.

You will never know everything. and the people who say they do, are tbh the last ones I usually listen too. And not because i don't belive what they are saying, but because they are talking in absolutes. there will always be exceptions to every rule, and unforseeable variables needing to be taken into account. So to speak in absolutes, shows a blindness of invention and understanding of something so indepth that variables tossed into an equation are worked with, around, amidst, ect..

redtailshark1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Australia
i dont like looseing fish here in australia you can melt mate and the mani reason that i loose fish is high temp and low o2 when i am not home (all day)(thats when its hot mate)

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
im a musician so ill tell you the same thing i think about when people think they have learned everything they can learn in music and their instrument. You never stop learning, at all, there is no practice makes perfect, practice makes improvements and to be the best you need some losses along the way to LEARN.

In fish keeping , yes ive had the DUH moments when i notice a fish death over something basic in fish keeping that i overl ooked, as easy as not floating a bag. Even the most advanced fish keeper here, with all their text book and individual fish knowledge will at some point lose a fish to some stupid mistake.

[enjoyable_attempt]

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Ive been keeping fish for 4-5 years now, and I still learn something new everyday. I didn't join this site till year 4, thats when I really started learning a ton.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
same here ive kept fish for over 20 years always learning somethin new and sometime learning from someone new also

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Example:
i know a local cichlid farmer, probably the best in miami that even breeds pacu...something not every aquarist can or knows how to even do and he does it, you would think this man knows everything possible and there is no learning for him, hes been breeding 100s of varieties of cichlids and koi and pacu for years and i show up one day and teach him how to breed bristenose pleco something he never new how and was totally amazed that i knew...amazing huh....i actually taught him something that day...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I have 2 related degrees in this hobby and I've been into fishkeeping for 46 years. I've alsohad and have a related business to this hobby. One thing I don't have is the inkling that there isn't more for me to learn in this hobby. Everyday is a reminder that theres more to learn and I'm having fun with it all.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Oddball;3672033; said:
I have 2 related degrees in this hobby and I've been into fishkeeping for 46 years. I've alsohad and have a related business to this hobby. One thing I don't have is the inkling that there isn't more for me to learn in this hobby. Everyday is a reminder that theres more to learn and I'm having fun with it all.
hey oddball can you tell me what those degrees are? is like like marine bio or something?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store