Fire Eel Question

The Flizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Powell, Ohio
I am new to the community. :headbang2 I have a discus tank. It is 125 gal planted with 7 discus, 35 Rummy Nose, 4 small albino plecos. I am wanting to get a fire eel, but I dont have the money to buy a new tank. I was wondering if it would do well in the tank I have. Do you think I would need to remove my plants? I cant add all the rock I have due to the change in PH that would result, but I can add a bunch of drift wood. Would this be sufficient for the eel? Any thoughts appreciated.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
He'll be able to finish off your tetras in a few days. Me may or may not crunch up the plecos, but after a year or two the discus will be on the menu, too. I think he would be fine in there until he gets around 18". Then you'll probably want to go straight to a 300g to avoid wasting money on slight upgrades. Driftwood is fine. They tend to get bold as they settle in, so he'll likely only be hiding occasionally once he is comfortable.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
knifegill;3670873; said:
He'll be able to finish off your tetras in a few days. Me may or may not crunch up the plecos, but after a year or two the discus will be on the menu, too.
Tetras yes.... anything else no... they are very tame and lovely eels (fish) and will eat anything resembling a worm or a shrimp (or small tetra of course) anything else is perfectly safe... i speak from experience and becuase i have a monster fire eel living in a mixed size community with no problems... my guy is around 24" now and growing...
Herres a video i have on youtube, the eel is in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LWFx6QLODQ

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
ok adding to what i said earlier... its not gonna harm your discus per say, but its not really the right tankmate for them either and it will end up digging all of the plants up... when its big like my boy... but they take a long time to get big ;)

The Flizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Powell, Ohio
Thanks for the responses. If I am not able to upgrade the size of my tank in the future ... would it be a bad idea to add one to the tank? BTW ... I love your tank Twicksisted. Very cool. Makes me want to rip all my plants out ... but I doubt I ever will.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
^ don't buy a fish if your not planning to upgrade accordingly for its needs. Maybe you could choose a smaller spiny eel species like a peacock eel.

The Flizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Powell, Ohio
Thanks for the info. I would never buy a fish if I were not able to care for it properly. I was asking in the hope that my current setup would be sufficient for the eel. I was reading about the peacock eel and I found that it is "aggressive." Is it the type of eel that I wouldnt be able to put my hand in the tank and clean, or aggressive towards other smaller fish?

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
Also it depends on the eel mine is two foot and very fat and won't even eat guppys let alone worms but I quess mine is the exception and not the norm. And they will and can move ay thing they want to including very large malaysian drift wood.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The Flizzle;3670994; said:
Thanks for the info. I would never buy a fish if I were not able to care for it properly. I was asking in the hope that my current setup would be sufficient for the eel. I was reading about the peacock eel and I found that it is "aggressive." Is it the type of eel that I wouldn't be able to put my hand in the tank and clean, or aggressive towards other smaller fish?
the only aggression i've seen from my peacock eel was towards other conspecifics as in other spiney eels. and guppy fry. They tend to be fish eaters more then fire eels, but the 12" adult size opposed to the 30"+ adult size of the fire eel makes the list of fish on the menu smaller. tbh I'de think adult rummy-nose tetras would be to large even for an adult peacock to eat. Fire eels can be gentle giants who are very interactive w/ their owners. But can take abit of time and effort settleing in and eating for you. If you end up with a larger fire eel a 125 won't hold it for life. if you get lucky and end up w/ a smaller specimine a 125 would do fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store