was it stupid not to buy this...

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I was at a lfs today and walked by a tank with some jds and couldnt help but notice that two had the rest of the tank all in a corner all beat up, i look carefully and turns out they were guarding eggs or wigglers, i couldnt really tell. the jds were 3.99 each. was it stupid of me not to buy the breeding pair? my thoughts against buying them were bascially just because i thought what use would jd fry be, ide be taking up a large tank for a pair for fry that i wouldnt gain much from selling or keeping.

good idea or bad?

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
woofy;3671651; said:
I was at a lfs today and walked by a tank with some jds and couldnt help but notice that two had the rest of the tank all in a corner all beat up, i look carefully and turns out they were guarding eggs or wigglers, i couldnt really tell. the jds were 3.99 each. was it stupid of me not to buy the breeding pair? my thoughts against buying them were bascially just because i thought what use would jd fry be, ide be taking up a large tank for a pair for fry that i wouldnt gain much from selling or keeping.

good idea or bad?
Jd's are definitely not money makers when it comes to breeding. Their fry makes for a good food though! But also it is always fun just to watch fish go about their breeding habits, rituals and mistakes and watch them grow beautiful, young fry. But if they are EBJD's than the fry will be worth a ton more when like 3-4" (around 30-40$) and when they are larger they are worth around 50-60$. But normal Jds are more common than a goldfish almost.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
thats what i was thining was a really going to waste a large tank for a pair of these when the fry will yield nothing and they are as common as ever....nah

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
I think you made the right choice in leaving them behind. With the expense and effort of breeding, if your heart is not entirely in it, why bother for JDs? Everyone else has that handled.

marlong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
Malta
woofy whats your avatar of? i think its a salamander or some newt what kind tho? i know its a bit stupid to ask but they are UBER CUTE!

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
marlong;3672527; said:
woofy whats your avatar of? i think its a salamander or some newt what kind tho? i know its a bit stupid to ask but they are UBER CUTE!
that is an axolotl

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
good choice

The last thing we need in this world is a few more cichlids. :ROFL:

But I have questioned myself for passing up free EB JD's. There pretty cool but there still jd's.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
theres a reason jds are common.Theyre beautiful,easy to care for and interesting to watch.
It only made sense to get them if you wanted some good looking hardy fish that are interesting to watch,and a constant supply of feeders.;)

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Good points.

I keep the fish that I like. Not the fish that are necessarily "profitable"... or the latest fad... or super rare... but the ones I like.

If you like JDs get the pair and take good care of them. If not, then don't...

Matt

gomezladdams;3672935; said:
theres a reason jds are common.Theyre beautiful,easy to care for and interesting to watch.
It only made sense to get them if you wanted some good looking hardy fish that are interesting to watch,and a constant supply of feeders.;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store