Are Gar's Compatible with "False" Gars?

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I've got a 7" Spotted Pike Characin (Boulengerella maculata) and was interested in adding a similiarly-sized "true" gar to the tank (Florida, Spotted or Longnose.)

Has anyone ever kept the phonies with the real deal? I wouldn't want my characin getting killed.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
any true gar will eventually outgrow the false gar in captivity as their max size and growth rate are faster. the combo could work, but it would only work for a brief period of time (perhaps months if you are lucky) therefore i would not recommend the combination unless you have separate tanks on hand already--
--solomon

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
Having done it many years ago, I'd advise against it. If I remember correctly, my Florida Gar outcompeted the false gar (laterstriga, I think), outgrew it, and pretty quickly I had to separate them. I'll admit, though, that they DID look pretty cool together for a little while.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Well, consider this thread a social experiment from henceforth.

An opportunity arose to receive an 8" Florida Gar that I could not refuse -- the idea of keeping a true gar was one of the inspirations that got me into this hobby and idealistically (and financially), it's now or never.

I've got a 60 gallon and a 55 gallon waiting for the Spotted Pike Characin should things get out of control.

I will update with pics and notes about the relationship starting tomorrow, for anyone interested. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll learn to love one another... :grinno:

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
keep us updated, do make sure you have a florida gar and not a gator cause that'll be a whole different ball game. and you'll also need to upgrade the 60gal eventually. good luck

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
My attempt with the combo of two needlefish (Xenentodon Cancila) and a similar sized longnose gar ended real bad for both needlefish. One was killed and the other seriously wounded. After Metaflex treatment, the survivor went into brackish with a mated pair of Belonsox. Its tail was nawled off and died within one day.

Unles the Florida gar is substancially more tolerant then the longnose, your pike will not eat live in the gars' presence! My LNG (Logan) even bites Samson (8" Tiger Oscar) when he steals food during a repositioning.

I am interested to see how it goes though!

kj01fl@live.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2009
Illinois
Yeah well I have a pretty full tank right now with true gars, (1x alligator gar, 3x longnose gar, and 1x florida gar) I originally had a needle nose gar in the tank and he was twice the size of my gator gar, eventually my gator gar outgrew him in about two months and ended up killing him :[ . Well I just thought ide share my story with you, true gars can be very good tank mates with other true gars but I wouldnt reccomend combining them with the look alike species! well goodluck

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Thanks for the confidence-boosting stories, guys! :cry:

Just kidding! I know what I'm getting into and I didn't ignore the good advice offered to me when I started this thread, just had to pounce on the opportunity.

The gar should be arriving in around an hour.

My pike characin is currently eating frozen krill, so I am hoping the competition is not too fierce if I keep the Florida on guppies for a while.

And my pike characin has a very nice, dark green pattern, as opposed to the silvery shades of the Needlenose. That may help, but it may not.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
The florida gar is now in the tank. The characin took an instant liking to it and refuses to leave its side. The gar is probably closer to 9" and considerably bigger than the characin.

As of now the gar is ignoring the characin and allowing it to stay by its side... maybe as pocket food for later.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Time for a photo update. It's been several hours since the gar arrived.

Here is the full tank before additions:

Here is the tank the next day, with the Florida Gar. Note how the Characin shadows the Gar relentlessly, trying to school:

Enjoy. Will update during feeding and to note any compatability issues that arise...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store