neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
from USARK.org newsletter

UPDATE: S373 Python Ban

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.
S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.
Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):
Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.
S373 has been amended to include ONLY:

1. Python molurus
  2. Broghammeras reticulatus
  3. Python sebae
  4. Python natalensis
  5. Boa constrictor
  6. Eunectes notaeus
  7. Eunectes deschauenseei
  8. Eunectes murinus
  9. Eunectes beniensis

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
I wouldn't worry about it. The way the Senate is working these days, the Republicans will do another Filibuster to slow down everything (They currently have 113 filibusters since 2006, second highest # is 58)

NOLAfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2009
Louisiana,NewOrleans
Okay just in theory or what ever here, but when we did that constitution thing we only agreed apon working out the big kinks, see where im goin? we shouldnt be stoped on the little details in this case what animals u can have and not have, we are paying taxes for people us that we cant have a snake in this state?kinda funny, dont we owe countries money, i could have swore we are in war? you know its getting pretty hot each year,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store