Gars update...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Yah, so now I've got all 9 gars in the same tank... a 125g. I decided to move the smallest shortnose and the true spotted over so that they would start learning to take krill and pellets, as they were being really stubborn in only taking live in the other tank. Neither of them were very enthused about the move (the shortnose took a flying leap out of the net and met something new called the floor), but they seem very happy about the larger tank and all their new, big gar buddies.

Here's the stock list of my 125g tank now:

2x Florida Gars
6x Shortnose Gars
1x True Spotted Gar
1x Albino Channel Catfish
1x Parachromis friedrichsthalii
1x Indo Datnoid
1x Venezuelan Pike Cichlid
2x Climbing Perch
1x Bluegill
2x Procambarus clarkii (crayfish)

So it sounds like its a little crowded, but everyone seems to be doing ok so far. Water quality is great and everyone eats like pigs.

Photos (first couple will be the spotted gar, then rest of the gars/tank pics):

009.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

019.JPG

042.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
very nice. doesn't seem overcrowded to me, perhaps a tad narrow. but great looking sp gar! love the shorty's too?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
wow conner that spotted is looking great! nice job! holding on to the speckled belly too, and also showing a lot of adult patterning already. great to see the updates and that the fish is doing well.

all the other fishes look great too!--
--solomon

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
E_americanus;3696037; said:
wow conner that spotted is looking great! nice job! holding on to the speckled belly too, and also showing a lot of adult patterning already. great to see the updates and that the fish is doing well.

all the other fishes look great too!--
--solomon
Thanks! I forgot to get an accurate measurement on him when I transferred him over to the larger tank :duh:. Oh well. He's definitely the shortest gar in the tank, but not by much. He's 10-10.5" for sure.

I 'm really glad he seems to be keeping his belly speckling. I really like that look on him. We'll see how his color changes with being on the black sand. most of the gars seem to darken up a bit, and he's always been a nice silvery color with green accents to his spotting. We'll see how he changes.

jworth;3696048; said:
nice tank conner. great looking gars.
Thanks! Sure you don't want a shortnose or two :naughty:?

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
o, ver, STOCKED. But i like it, what filteration are you running Conner?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Jakob;3711790; said:
o, ver, STOCKED. But i like it, what filteration are you running Conner?
It looks more overstocked than it really is I think. The pictures make it look really crowded, but if you saw it in person it seems much less so.

I'm running a 30g sump filled about 3/5 with bioballs and half full of water, and a 100 or 200 micron filter sock (don't remember exactly). I've got two Quiet One 4000's running, so there's about 1600-1800 gph running through the system. That's like a 13-14 times turnover rate. Gives a good current in the tank, but doesn't blow the gars all over the place either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store