responsibility

paul zonn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2009
glen burnie, md.
one thing that we may forget from time to time is responsiblity. there are many people that think that it may be cool to own these exotic pets but dont realize what is involved. the laws that we are trying to prevent are a direct result of these people. i live in central maryland where someone released a snakehead into a local pond (crofton,md.). being an extremly invasive species the snakehead is now a problem. they are thriving in our waters, all the way down to the potomic, south of dc. it starts with us. just a thought. take responsibility. i belive the saying is one bad apple ruins the bunch. im new to this site but am digging it more and more each day.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Welcome Paul. I think the guy that let that snake head go was performing a cermony for his sister who had just died, not that that makes it right or the results any different. But I agree it comes down to people being responsible

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, he admitted to it...which I think is pretty damn brave, although it doesn't excuse the issue.

I doubt anyone has found an exact cause for the myriad invasives of Florida. If you go there you will see about 30 blue tilapia/spotted tilapia/mayan cichlid for every sunfish. It's gross.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Welcome Paul.

paul zonn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2009
glen burnie, md.
thanks everyone for the welcomes. yeah, the guy did admit to it which was stand up, but the example of invasive species is there. just one example of many im sure. there is actually a few specials that ive seen on demand about invasive species. one talks of the python problem in fla and the another on the snakehead problem here. its interesting what shows up on national based tv sometimes.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Welcome Paul and the only place I will be releasing my monster fishes if I couldn't house them nomore would be at the LFS or the city's public aquarium.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
thepwner70;3729628; said:
I think americans take pets for granted in the usa just like they really abuse EVERYTHING pretty much.
Snakeheads were released by an Asian living here. If we stopped letting people imigrate with all their crazy ass traditions and rituals maybe it would not have happened, but we are to nice for that.
Tell ya what tho chump, if you PM me ur address I come up there and abuse you.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Mattyou;3734192; said:
Snakeheads were released by an Asian living here. If we stopped letting people imigrate with all their crazy ass traditions and rituals maybe it would not have happened, but we are to nice for that.
Tell ya what tho chump, if you PM me ur address I come up there and abuse you.
That's quite a very bad assumption, since Asian love the taste of cooked snakehead, especially not from a frozen one! :drool: I agree with you that Native American are too nice! :D

Lemons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2010
Maryland
one thing that we may forget from time to time is responsiblity. there are many people that think that it may be cool to own these exotic pets but dont realize what is involved. the laws that we are trying to prevent are a direct result of these people. i live in central maryland where someone released a snakehead into a local pond (crofton,md.). being an extremly invasive species the snakehead is now a problem. they are thriving in our waters, all the way down to the potomic, south of dc. it starts with us. just a thought. take responsibility. i belive the saying is one bad apple ruins the bunch. im new to this site but am digging it more and more each day.
Hey Paul, I live in Easton!

If I am correct the Northern Snakehead first appeared in a lake in Crofton, and quickly took the lake over. I am not sure if it was part of an Asian ritual, I was under the impression that the fish got out of the tank and squirmed to the water, seeing as they can survive up to 3 days out of water.

After it became a big issue the entire pond was poisoned (it was rather small), and every species was killed. By that time the fish had already spread.

The Oxford Lab (Oxford MD) has a Snakehead that I have seen, they are neat creatures. Many people think that you get it in the tank, it will get too big, then when they release it into the wild it will die. Wrong. Very wrong.

It is the responsibility of the fish keeper to understand what they are getting. people these days don't so any research. That is why PetSmart sells Oscars and Pacu. They sell them, the owner gets them, the fish gets so big it can't turn around in their 10g tank, then they decide to release it in the bay, and and someone gets attacked by a giant Pacu.

This ban on the importation of non-native species is good. Without it these problems would continue. You need to look at the issue objectively and make the right decision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store