Where to buy Florida Spotted Gar or Spotted Gar?

Mercury2234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hello all,

I live in Florida and I am having the biggest problems finding smaller sized florida/spotted gar.

Tried online, but no luck; Asked around the stores nearby (one time, drove 1 hour to a big lfs), but all said they never even ordered one because they arent on the list.

The size that I want is around 5-6"; I ran into a MFK vendor here, but he only has bigger sized ones.

Any point to direction would be appreciated...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
to be honest, Florida gars are available all over the place...even now there are small ones (even smaller than what you've described) available at LFS all over the country. you can check with online vendors here and they should have some available. i find it hard to believe that you can't find them in Florida, but you may have just missed the right places.

try the vendor "snookn" (you'll recognize his name in the buy/sell threads) as he has Florida gars most of the time.

spotted gars are much rarer in the hobby, and i do have some available, so if you are interested please let me know, however, if a Florida gar will do, you will save $$ by finding one locally instead of paying for shipping, etc.

hopefully others from your area will chime in, and if we dig up other buy/sell threads with Floridas available we'll post the links here. if you have further questions please post--
--solomon

Mercury2234;3701151; said:
Hello all,

I live in Florida and I am having the biggest problems finding smaller sized florida/spotted gar.

Tried online, but no luck; Asked around the stores nearby (one time, drove 1 hour to a big lfs), but all said they never even ordered one because they arent on the list.

The size that I want is around 5-6"; I ran into a MFK vendor here, but he only has bigger sized ones.

Any point to direction would be appreciated...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I was gonna suggest try snookn21. he always has great gar in at great prices...plus hes great to work with.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Yep, snookn21, if you're in florida, the shipping will be very cheap.

farawayinn

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
cedar key, fl
www.farawayinn.com
agree^^
Shipping in state is about $20. John Snookn21 has great florida gar, just received a few more recently. If you LFS doesn't have any, look for him an aquabid.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I picked my Florida up from snook21 recently and he had tons more in stock.

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl
i recently ordered a gar from snook.

when i received it, it was the wrong size, so he sent me another i just covered shipping. The entire process was easy and he is a great seller.

I'm in florida too and rarely do I see them here in LFS.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
you already got what ya need. his name. PM him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store