Oct 7, 2009
southern california
i would think it would work wat size bircher do u have

pedro69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
massachusetts
i dont have a bichir yet i have my heart set on gettin a pair of gts what would be a good bichir to put with them im really not a fan of the pinkish ones

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
For a 55g...I'd just stick with Senegals. Their albino morphs are popular, but their normal variants are out there. But being that you're getting a pair of GTs, I wouldn't really go with any other fish just because when they start breeding they'll probably get pretty nasty with other fish like most cichlid pairs.

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California
My GT is super aggressive though he has calmed down with his old age. He still side displays and flares his gills when I walk up to the tank though. I did have another GT that I kept with corys and tetras and he was fine with them, so I think that you just have to gauge the temperament of the one that you pick up and be aware that it can change overnight.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
benzjamin13;3702829; said:
For a 55g...I'd just stick with Senegals. Their albino morphs are popular, but their normal variants are out there. But being that you're getting a pair of GTs, I wouldn't really go with any other fish just because when they start breeding they'll probably get pretty nasty with other fish like most cichlid pairs.
I agree with this.

If you went with a single GT, it is still no guarantee that a bichir would be compatable. The chances are more than 50% that it would work, but they all have different temperments, so it would maybe not work.

However, as already stated, it would probably not be a good idea to put a bichir in with a pair of GTs in this sized tank.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
my 4" Gt seems to get along with my 6 senegals ok. they range from roughly 3.5" to approx 9-10". the smaller sens do get shoved away from the GT when he is eating but no nipping, seems like he just wants to eat in peace. they even do fine with my 9" female midas, only the juvenile sens get away with sitting in her cave.

not sure if i would add bichirs, or anything for that matter, to a 4ft tank with a pair of any med-large cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store