bass feeding help

Tjend

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Texas
i just got a new bass about 6 in he is already very aggressive he rips worms out of my hand but how can i get him to eat pellets he wont eat anything that doesnt move

When you feed the worms, drop them in. Don't hold onto them. The bass will react to the splash. Sprinkle in a pellet or two inbetween a worm or two and the bass will learn to accept the pellets. Make sure the bass is hungry, i.e, not full on worms when you try this. Also its good to get the scent of the worm on the pellets, and this will be accomplished simply by handling and feed the worm first, then pickingup some pellets without washing your hands.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
When I had a largemouth I first got it to recognize me as a food source (it sounds like you have already done this) and then I started offering only pellets. They will start to take them after awhile, but it could take over a week. A healthy fish can easily go several weeks without eating, so don't give in until they learn to accept the pellets!

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Good advice above, you could also use some meaty, dead foods, like silversides or shelled shrimp to get him accustomed to eating nonmoving food, then switch over to pellets. A word of caution here, largemouth bass get big. Really big. In warmer climates they have been known to get over 3' long and 24 lbs. Thats alot of fish in a tank. They will also consume alot of food, so obesity can become an issue. In nature, they are opportunistic feeders, eating whenever a meal happens by. Then they may not eat for an hour, or 3 weeks. Good luck

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
There are two strains of largemouth, northern and Florida strain. Florida strains are found in Florida and California, while northern are found in the other states. Florida strains are the big boys, while a northern strain over 12 pounds is a monster! (any largemouth over 10 lbs is a beast though, it's just northerns don't generally grow nearly as big)

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i recently got both my pbass on pellets, to tell you the truth i did nothing special but make sure they new i was the food source, and one of them practically starved himself before he went for non live food. I keep them with other fish also so at feeding time when the frenzy started they couldnt help but want to compete for food, eventually they struck at anything that hit the water too. I also mix a few pellets in with a big glop of thawed frozen foods like blood worms, they dont realize and they eat a small pellet, eventually i decreased the amount of worms vs pellets and now they just eat pellets. :)

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
The "strains" of Bass are identical genetically, the difference is the length of the growing season. In the northern states, the growing season is much shorter because the summer is shorter. In the southern states, they can grow more each year, so therefore they can reach a larger size in their lifetime than the northern states. By the way, the world record LMB came from texas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store