Can 1 person transport a 100 gallon tank/stand with a dolly?

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
I am going to buy a used 100 tank this week. The dimensions for the tank are 60 by 18 by 20. The only person who is going to transport this to my home is me. I just have to get it out of the truck and put it in the dolly and roll it in. There are no stairs. The dolly is a furniture dolly with 4 wheels. Can I do it on my own? Also I have to put the stand in my home by myself also.

RedDwarf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Where the Sun is Warm
That all really depends on how strong you are and if you can lift the aquarium by yourself. If you can lift it pretty easily then you should have no problem.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Is it glass? If so you need to be pretty strong. I've never carried anything larger than a 55 alone, and even that is quite a pain. I would recommend you offer $5 to the first person that walks by that seems able to help you move it to the dolly.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
A dolly or cart that is the same height as your trucks tailgate (or close) would be better than a 4 wheel carpeted appliance dolly. How strong are you and what does the tank weigh?

tamzor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
galvestion
if its glass nope its heavier then u think i have the same size and dimension tank and its needed atleast 2 people

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
Yes it is glass. Looking back in the past, I got an 80 gallon tank, 48 by 18 by 20 something out of my truck and I just pushed it in the ground by myself. The problem with the 100 gallon is that it is longer.

duster1971

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Iowa
i wouldnt do it if i were u i dont move any thing larger than a 10 gallon by my self i tryd to move a 110 on my own and had to go and have custome glass cut to fit the pannels that broke since then i always teem lift my tanks cause it can be pricy if u dont i wuld try to talk a freind int atleast helping with putting it on the dolly and putputting it on the stand just for safty reasons i dont know how heavy myy tank was but yours isnt much lighter and just as awkward i tor my sholder lifting mine so be carful.and enjoy the new tank

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
I dont know. The thing is that I actually dont have to lift the whole tank. I can position the tank on the ground in one end while I hold the other end to get it out of the truck. And to put it in the dolly, I have to lift it about about 6 inches in one end and push it in. I am not actually going to lift the whole tank on my own, just enough to get it out of the truck and put it in the dolly.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I say don't do it, buy some beers, or pay someone to help you.

I moved a 220 gallon Acrylic tank from my upstairs to the basement by myself. I would never even attempt to move a 70 gallon glass, moving the 55 gallon glass sucked. If you had no other choice then the best thing to do is move it how I used to move refrigerators.

If its on the truck push it the edge, then get off the truck and pull it until most of the tank is off the truck, then lower it down and rest it on something soft such as a folded towel.

If its off the truck I would use 2x4's to make a ramp, then put sheet over the 2x4's and walk it up the ramp. You don't want to use 2x4 to slid it down off the truck because then you will be sliding your tank on the ground or risk the short drop at the end of the 2x4. something that heavy can break with just a 2 in drop.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
i have done it and i am 13 a 120 gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store