cheap feeders

Tjend

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Texas
stoped off at petland for some goldfish feeders 88 cents for a dozen i got 30 goldfish for $1.76 idk if it is at all the petlands but it was a good deal instead of like $1.20 for 10 goldfish

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
facepalm

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I'm glad you found a cheaper way to get your fish sick.

Deaths Sting

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Tjend;3705426; said:
stoped off at petland for some goldfish feeders 88 cents for a dozen i got 30 goldfish for $1.76 idk if it is at all the petlands but it was a good deal instead of like $1.20 for 10 goldfish
good!

now u can use the money u saved to buy ur fish back after they die from internal parasites and malnutrition.

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
i thought i would not comment, but no body is imforming you. there are certain fish that posess enzymes or chemicals that harm fish that eat them. goldfish and some others in the family, have a chemical(enzyme i believe) called thiaminase. it breaks down vitamin b1, and eventually causes negative effects on animals that injests it. so it slowly causes malnutrition.

also goldfish are nutritionally poor themselves i think.

so choose your feeders wisely. good luck

remember to try to help people on these forums

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
LOL here are some articles/threads you might want to check out...

The dangers of using any feeders, but goldfish in general:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12521&highlight=thiaminase

If you're going to use feeders, it's entirely necessary to quarantine them. They're filthy, filthy fish. How to quarantine:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155873&highlight=quarantining+feeders

Basically the reactions you're getting are most likely a combination of these reasons not to use feeders: They carry disease and parasites, and they're not good for your fish. A pelleted staple food along with other meaty wet-frozen food is going to be better. If your fish absolutely won't accept anything but live, then you'll need to QT.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Wasn't your tank infested with ich not too long ago? The Pacu you have is still ill, right? These are top reasons NOT to use feeders.

Pacu actually don't need feeders at all. I have three very large ones who continue to grow even larger eating pellets, Algae wafers, and various veggies.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Wow, tough crowd.

Tjend;3705426; said:
That's a great deal. Don't let these guys make you feel like a bad fish keeper. A lot of people on here feed goldfish as feeders. If you were a mod on here or something I can guarantee these same posters wouldn't have responded in the negative way they did.

Why did everyone who responded just automatically assume the OP doesn't quarantine the goldfish?

BTW Tjend, if you don't quarantine them, it would be a good thing if you started to. Also, goldfish have something that inhibits fish growth, so it is good to try and ween your fish off of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store