Troubled

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
What effect does getting water from copper pipes and brass fixtures have on tank inhabitants?

I have to use water that goes through metal, such as copper and brass, iam hoping that the metals do not leach heavily into the water or do they?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It may depend on the tank inhabitants.

I have copper plumbing and just run my tap water for a few minutes before using the water for both drinking and my fish.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I am under the idea that copper isn't that important unless you are keeping invertebrates. If I remember correctly, it was shown that the amount of copper leeched was harmless to most aquarium fish.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Its nothing to worry about. Pipes get an internal coating of an oxidized layer that protects from leaching. The exception would be if you're using hot water.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
API sells a test for copper, or you could have your LFS test your water for you and definitely answer whether or not it's leaching into the water.

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
YAh didn't relize they had an at home copper test, thats awesome. Iam just worried about the 25 + year old pipes.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Well, I'd see if the LFS has one first, probably. We bought this test and have used it exactly twice LOL. So, while it's nice to have around, maybe not a test you actually have to own. It's up to you, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store