Are the chemicals really needed?

100gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
memphis, tn
I have kept aquariums since I was 15-now 35 and I have never used any treatments, water test, nitrate/ammonia kits, never tested the levels or anything. I have raised piranhas from hatch lings to 7 inches,Peacock Bass from 3inches to 12 inches, I have had Sturgeons in my outside pond, bread tilipia, Red Devils, Texas cichlids and dozens of other fish. I have caught and kept Nurse Sharks, Octopus, Seahorses and many other fish and NEVER used any of the kits,chemicals and test that a lot of people swear by. Are these things really needed? All I ever used were good filters and minimal water changes and they THRIVE, not just live.

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
100gallons;3706738; said:
I have kept aquariums since I was 15-now 35 and I have never used any treatments, water test, nitrate/ammonia kits, never tested the levels or anything. I have raised piranhas from hatch lings to 7 inches,Peacock Bass from 3inches to 12 inches, I have had Sturgeons in my outside pond, bread tilipia, Red Devils, Texas cichlids and dozens of other fish. I have caught and kept Nurse Sharks, Octopus, Seahorses and many other fish and NEVER used any of the kits,chemicals and test that a lot of people swear by. Are these things really needed? All I ever used were good filters and minimal water changes and they THRIVE, not just live.

Always great to hear of people that have kept fish for so long and have had such great success.
For the beginners it is a great way to become familiar with your fish by testing the water. But after you've had fish for a long time and know your tank's and the bio-load's in each one, then testing is pretty much not needed unless you see a problem. Outside of regular water changes and good filtration I still keep test kit's around just in case something look's funny.

Welcome to MFK.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
interesting to hear stories like that. you don't use dechlorinator either? if not, do you have well water or municipal tap water?

100gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
memphis, tn
As far as dechlorinator, I use it if Im going to stock right away. As far as cycling the tanks, I just throw goldfish in about 3 weeks prior to stocking.The only time I used a store bought medicine, I killed my 1 foot Peacock Bass because I didnt know they were scaleless at first.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
so you don't add dechlorinator when you do water changes? doesn't your local water have chorine or chloramines?

Kcoastsurfguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
MD
I've heard people dont use dechlorinator if there on well water, never tried it though

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I never used dechlorinator when I had well water. No need for it as there wasn't any chlorine.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
100gallons;3706738; said:
I truly agree with this.. I've regretted wasting my money on test kits that I don't need or rarely use.. Good filtration, water changes & adequate tank space makes for a healthy fish..
The only chemical that I use is dechlorinator..
Come to think about it, the only time my tank broke down was when I added some "overly priced aquarium salt" that killed most of my fish..

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
100gallons;3706854; said:
As far as dechlorinator, I use it if Im going to stock right away. As far as cycling the tanks, I just throw goldfish in about 3 weeks prior to stocking.The only time I used a store bought medicine, I killed my 1 foot Peacock Bass because I didnt know they were scaleless at first.
Just to clear this up bass are scaled fish.

The biggest problem with medicines is that alot of them will kill off the bio-bacteria. And then the result is a toxic amount of ammonia in the tank and dead fish. Which if you don't use test kits you would never know about.

Not saying that is what happened.

but it is a possiblity

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
The only thing I have is dechlorinator, have not had a test kit in 20 years. Water changes on a regular basis, and happy fish.

All that testing seems like crap, if your water is bad.........change it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store