Help! Impulse buy on something called a glass eel.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Please don't stuff this into a subforum where it won't get noticed.

I bought a little glass eel today. The problem is, there aren't any thorough explanations as to what it is. The internet offers a few sites dedicated to glass eels, but these sites don't actually tell you if they are freshwater or saltwater. Does anyone know anything about glass eels? Mine was/is in freshwater. Cost $5.00. And it looks like a few of the images that google brings up when I search 'glass eel', but only some. It is not laterally compressed, but looks more like a living spaghetti noodle with a paddle tail.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Arrggh I can't find it, the scientific starts with a P...Pironophis or something...

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yes!!!!! That's it, good find Citrinellus

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008

Well to the op they appear brackish.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I hope that's it. I was so afraid it might be one of the saltwater eels in its freshwater/juvenile stage. I'll keep digging and comparing photos for now to be sure it is what I think it is. But it looks more like a worm than an eel. Even the eyes are hard to see.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Naw, that's what it is...I used to import them. They get through all the overflow strainers and we ended up with eels in every tank in the system lol.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Oh, good! You know things! :D So do they really need sand or is a pile of medium gravel going to work?

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
i would get more than one they sound like they are dependent on a community

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store