I'm having a glass shop make a 200 gal aquarium

Flathead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Augusta
I'd like to know some good sugestions on measurements for the tank. I don't want it to be too tall, and I want it to probably be rectangle. However, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Well a 72 x 24 x 30 is 215 gallons and is an about standard size.

If that is too tall for you you can reduce the height to 24 inches for a 180 gallon.

The 215 is made from 1/2" glass all around. The 180 is 1/2" bottom and 3/8" sides.

There is bigger and smaller.

If your building a custom tank its best to build it to the space. What size can you fit? What are you planning on keeping in it?

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
^^ agreed ^^ If you don't want 30 tall then switch it and make it 24 tall and 30 wide. but I would stick with 72 long either way unless you knew you were only going to house fish that stayed under 2' then I would go with a 240 that's 96x24x24.

Has this glass place built tanks before and what are they charging that makes it better then buying one from the LFS. I mean it doesn't sound like you want something that you can't get from the LFS. Not like you're looking for something custom. Or are you?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I don't see tanks over 150 very often if ever at my LFS's. So that may be his issue.

Hopefully the glass place has built tanks before and braces it properly and uses the correct silicone. I'd hate to see the mess a incorrectly build 200 gallon would make.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Muni;3708578; said:
Hopefully the glass place has built tanks before and braces it properly and uses the correct silicone. I'd hate to see the mess a incorrectly build 200 gallon would make.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Muni;3708578; said:
I don't see tanks over 150 very often if ever at my LFS's. So that may be his issue.

for safety sake I would ask any shops if they can order you a bigger tank. and then compare prices and see if the higher price from the LFS is justifiable with the added worry of someone building it wrong.

Or make sure you get plenty of pics of what the tank bracing should look like and what type of silicone the shop needs to use.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
are these glass people experienced at making aquariums?

if they are not, I would certainly not buy a tank from them..

especially one this size.

your LFS should be able to order any stock tank from Aqueon, Oceanic or Perfecto, which means you can get tank up to 300g from actual aquarium manufacturers.

this would be a better choice if the glass shop is not used to making tanks on a regular basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store