Geodes in aquarium?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Interesting question.

My main concerns would be the sharp crystals and if the rock the geode is in would affect the ph of the water. Some limestones and marbles can mess with water chemistry.

Good question though. Maybe someone has some further insight.

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
the ones you find in shops that are cut in half and have a plastic covering tpye deal would probably be a much safer bet (less sharp edges)

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
What type of minerals in the geode?

Reactions: twentyleagues

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I know my buddy had one in his tank for awhile, and his fish were fine. A pair of dempseys even laid eggs in the geode. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but that's the only experience with geodes I have.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
i have 8 geodes in my oscars tank and its been fine there a hassle to clean though

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Solid quartz and/or agate geodes are, for the most part, safe for aquariums. Geodes with small crystalline lattices containing cinnamon colored or black crystals may contain metals and arsenic in trace amounts. Green coatings may involve copper minerals and should be avoided (especially in invert setups). Chalky inclusions should also be avoided since these may be anhydrous minerals that will become released once immersed in water. Large quartz/amethyst crystals should be OK. Just note that amethyst may fade over time under constant flourescents.

[enjoyable_attempt]

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Oddball;3708981; said:
Solid quartz and/or agate geodes are, for the most part, safe for aquariums. Geodes with small crystalline lattices containing cinnamon colored or black crystals may contain metals and arsenic in trace amounts. Green coatings may involve copper minerals and should be avoided (especially in invert setups). Chalky inclusions should also be avoided since these may be anhydrous minerals that will become released once immersed in water. Large quartz/amethyst crystals should be OK. Just note that amethyst may fade over time under constant flourescents.

Thanks so much Oddball. I knew if anyone knew about rocks here it would be you, but I didn't think to just pm you the question lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store