Ammonia What the heck.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I no longer test my tanks for ammonia, or anything, just because they are well established and I do weekly 50% W/C.

I decided to buy another testing kit for Ammonia the API liquid drops, so that I can be ready when I add a couple of larger fish. Basically want to just check once a month or so and make sure I have enough Bio media, plus I am going to be setting up my first Salt Water very soon.

Any way I went to go buy the drops and they where like 14.99 WTF!!!!!!! a year and half ago when I bought testing kits I paid like 18.00 for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all together, and got pH thrown in.

Has there been some inflation in the chemical market? Did API decide to give new fish keepers the shaft?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I just recently bought an entire test kit for about $25-30.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
seems about normal nowadays unfortunately, esp. at LFS. Although I haven't use test kits in ages, so haven't bought one recently

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I wont be testing the water either at that price. I will drive my happy but down the street to the LFS where they use API liquid to test your water. I figure a once a week trip while cycling my salt will be cost effective.

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
If you order it online at WalMart.com you can get the entire kit for $15 and they'll ship it for free to your local WalMart.

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
ya, i just picked up a API test kit not soo long ago for 25. =( price went up.. everything went up.. suck, but that the fish keeping hobby.. gotta pay tp play =)

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
ya..... i ordered mine about a year ago... it was $25 for me on amazon... it was already into the 30-35s in LFS same with petsmart/petco... I think prices are increasing by a few dollars now.. petsmart usually...

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
nfored;3709116; said:
I no longer test my tanks for ammonia, or anything, just because they are well established and I do weekly 50% W/C.

I decided to buy another testing kit for Ammonia the API liquid drops, so that I can be ready when I add a couple of larger fish. Basically want to just check once a month or so and make sure I have enough Bio media, plus I am going to be setting up my first Salt Water very soon.

Any way I went to go buy the drops and they where like 14.99 WTF!!!!!!! a year and half ago when I bought testing kits I paid like 18.00 for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all together, and got pH thrown in.

Has there been some inflation in the chemical market? Did API decide to give new fish keepers the shaft?
I use the test strips from Jungle and others to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Like you, I have gown more relaxed about the necessity to test frequently. I probably test for each parameter about once a month...so a canister of strips lasts a long time. I also perform frequent wcs and if the fish appear to be eating and swimming normally, that's usually good enough for me.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Yes I don't test at all, I just was planning on setting up a saltwater tank so I would need to test with them. Thanks for the tip about petco, petsmart was like 13.00 so I will check out petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store