stingray breeding?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i am getting a pair of retics in the morning...just waiting for the box to arrive, so they wont get sold out from under me like my motoros...anyway they are 3-4" now i have tried looking for so info on breeding with little success...idk if i am looking in the wrong areas or what...at what size do they get sexually mature?...how long is the average gestation period for? (i have read of 5-6mos as long so would 3-4 be normal?)...how many times a year do they breed? sorry for all the ques., but i don't want to go into this half hitch...i have spent the better part of 3 months reading everything i can find on rays so i feel i am up to the task of keeping them...i have a 180gal for them for a long while...thanx for the help...

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
well i dont know much about the breeding on them but first with the retics you should be worried and more concerned about getting them to eat first retics are a harder ray to get to eat. mine took about a week and i had to treat them prazi and offer about everytype of food i could get a hold of. also get some black worms as just about everyone says stingrays dont usually turn those down. im just finally getting my order of them in today cause no on offers them around here. so good luck and i hope you enjoy.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have easy access to live black worms and i already feed them to several of my fish...i know they are hard to "break" but it will happen when they are ready...as for breeding i will be breeding retics first, then motoros, then idk where it will take me as i will have atleast those 2 sp. breeding for me and hopefully more aswell...i would like to get as much info on the breeding/ maturing cycle as i can, since that is about the only thing i haven't found info on...yet there are many people that do it and i dought that it is all nature taking its course...thanx for your advice, good luck with yours and i will enjoy...stingrays have been on the top of my list of fish to keep, just haven't be properly preped, in tanks and funds till now...

killarbb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
iowa
the 4-5 inch male retic i bought a year ago still isnt mature. i dont figure it to be for maybe another year. get them eating and enjoy them for a long time before worrying about breeding.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Each ray is different. There is no set amount of time a ray takes to be sexually mature. I've seen rays that are mature after a bit more than a year, also seen some that take almost forever to roll. Could take a year, could take longer, its all up to the ray. Gestation is about 3 months is 90-100 days. They CAN breed all year round non stop litter after litter, but most people seperate the pair for a couple months after 2-3 litters to let the female take a break or they may die from stress. Good luck.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
so something like 2yrs or so for maturity?...i am not worried i just would like to know what to expect...i will enjoy these fish for many years, i just would like to know that witch i don't...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Gshock;3711163; said:
Each ray is different. There is no set amount of time a ray takes to be sexually mature. I've seen rays that are mature after a bit more than a year, also seen some that take almost forever to roll. Could take a year, could take longer, its all up to the ray. Gestation is about 3 months is 90-100 days. They CAN breed all year round non stop litter after litter, but most people seperate the pair for a couple months after 2-3 litters to let the female take a break or they may die from stress. Good luck.
thanx, i planned to seperate them if they start to breed like rabbits...i also planned on maybe multipul females in the futrue to rotate out for the break purpose...

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
sbuse;3711164; said:
so something like 2yrs or so for maturity?...i am not worried i just would like to know what to expect...i will enjoy these fish for many years, i just would like to know that witch i don't...
Like I said before, no one can really say, I can only tell you the average is around 2-3 years during my experience with rays.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Gshock;3711174; said:
Like I said before, no one can really say, I can only tell you the average is around 2-3 years during my experience with rays.
i was typing this when you posted i am a sssslllloooowwww typer...i really wanted to know more so i could give my wife the info so she gets of my back, part of my negotiation in getting them now was that i can breed them later to sell the pups for extra cash...

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
then you might want to wait and start with motoros retics are cheap and you wont make much cash. motoros you can make more plus they seem to be easier to break in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store