what to do with my tank

rognavald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
Brooklyn
So im going on christmas break from school soon and i am taking my fish from school to my bigger tank at home, now my question for all you is should i leave my tank at school full of water or should i empty it or empty it halfway or what. Will one smell more than the other, will crazy things grow? whats the best thing to do?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hmmmmm... personally i'd possibly empty it, depending on how long you plan on leaving it there for... also, if you don't empty it, are you planning on leaving the filter running or off? coz if theres no filter, i can only imagine the water won't take too long to start becoming stagnant?

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
how long a break how big a tank

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
blacklabel;3711510; said:
just leave it running with the water in it and filters on...
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

rognavald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
Brooklyn
break is a month and change, tank is 20 gallon high, technically im not supposed to leave anything plugged in, but maybe i can get away with it.

Kcoastsurfguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
MD
If its a dorm, do people stay there for winter classes, because if not the may cut the power off

Satan's Goldfish

Cloven-hoofed Sea Monkey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Carterton, Oxfordshire
blacklabel;3711510; said:
just leave it running with the water in it and filters on...
As above if you can. Will keep the tank ready for when you go back to school and put the fish back in without lots of messing around.

Where i ran down my 180 recently i left the 2 eheim filters running in it with no lights or heaters, just the old water and substrate that were in there when the fish were removed. Both filters were still instantly ready to be put onto different tanks with no cycling to get the bio back even after a couple of months sat on the empty tank. Saved a lot of time on new tank set ups.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Kcoastsurfguy;3712421; said:
If its a dorm, do people stay there for winter classes, because if not the may cut the power off
some colleges make you leave for winter break. they wont even let you stay in your dorm. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store