Do You Try to Bargain at the LFS?

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
Just wondering if people bargain at the LFS. If I buy $40 worth of stuff, I'll ask if the owner can do $35 for it and usually he says yes. At the very least, LFS owners won't charge you tax, especially if you've been a long time customer. But I'm surprised when I see people at the fish store buying $150 filters and paying tax. I guess in this country, people aren't use to haggling, but in Asia, everybody bargains and since many LFS owners are Asian, they have no problem knocking off a few bucks.

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
I usually bargain when I buy a lot of the same kind of fish. Like if the price is $8.99 for one fish, I tell the person how much will you charge if I buy five of them. They usually knock off a $1.00 per fish. LFS do this most of the time but chain stores will not since the people who work there dont manage or own the place.

Kcoastsurfguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
MD
Yea I bargain if Im buying more then one of a certian fish, or if I think the price on the fish is jacked up, I usually say thats not really what that fish is worth, but I'll take him if you give him to me for this. The LFS owner is usually pretty cool with it

Darth Scohin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Mountain Valley, Near Flats
johnnycoolxx;3712204; said:
Just wondering if people bargain at the LFS. If I buy $40 worth of stuff, I'll ask if the owner can do $35 for it and usually he says yes. At the very least, LFS owners won't charge you tax, especially if you've been a long time customer. But I'm surprised when I see people at the fish store buying $150 filters and paying tax. I guess in this country, people aren't use to haggling, but in Asia, everybody bargains and since many LFS owners are Asian, they have no problem knocking off a few bucks.
Really? Not one of my LFS guys is of foriegn decent all are true Americans.....Once I did, it is fair to say most of the time (unless the price is rediculous) I feel it isn't cool as many LFS have to make money and giving them business, by not only sending people to their stores but also paying what they sell fully

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Not usually. I bargained once when I bought an African Pike whos fins were pretty torn up.

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
Darth Scohin;3712265; said:
Really? Not one of my LFS guys is of foriegn decent all are true Americans.....Once I did, it is fair to say most of the time (unless the price is rediculous) I feel it isn't cool as many LFS have to make money and giving them business, by not only sending people to their stores but also paying what they sell fully
In California, it is different.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Every time when making more than one purchase.

The guy I get all my pond bits from always sells everything retail but throws a lot more in on bigger purchases, I was looking at a new filter and asked if all the pipework came with and was told 'no, but I'll sort that out at the time';)

Somethingfishyinc.net

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
www.Somethingfishyinc.net
I feel it isn't cool as many LFS have to make money and giving them business, by not only sending people to their stores but also paying what they sell fully
Nice!
I'm a lfs & non asian although fiance is Chinese.
I automatically offer breaks on most fish. Like 2" clown loaches $7.95 ea. 3/$20. Like these & other social type or schooling fish I want people to buy more then one because there should be more then one in the tank.
I also offer cash discounts like if a $50 fish gets a $5-$10 discount + tax.
saves them money & me from paying stupid credit fees etc. & waiting a couple days before getting the $!
The sign on my front door on the bottom it says if you ask for a discount the price will go up. If you want quality & service you come here & if you want cheap crap then go to Walmart or box stores! :)
have a nice day.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I don't get why it is acceptable (or expected) to bargain at the LFS...do you walk into the gorcery store and say "I want 1.50 off those bananas"... especially for drygoods like expensive filters where there is very little mark up.

Now, good customers frequently get a good discount without asking, but people who barter over everything quickly become a PITA...I had a guy barter with me over 88 cents once, 88 cents!...I refused to lower the price out of spite lol. From the LFS side of things guys, don't turn into one of those customers that makes us cringe when you walk in...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store