Put an end to some myths

Fishman0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
New York
I want to put an end to some myths that I have heard over the years.

This thread is for anyone who wants to have a myth proved/disproved.

I ask that if a myth is proposed, please do not ridicule, as this thread is to answer questions.

For any who answer; please provide where the information comes from (i.e. personal experience, article, book, etc...)

I will begin with two;

"Fish will only grow to the size of the enclosure they are in."

- True for only some species?

"Certain species grow faster when in total darkness."

- Heard this on t.v. show Monsterquest, in regards to alligators living in New York city sewers. A expert/scientist, not sure which, claimed to have done studies on this phenomenon. Is it also true for fish?

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
Fishman0;3714591; said:
"Fish will only grow to the size of the enclosure they are in."

- Heard this on t.v. show Monsterquest, in regards to alligators living in New York city sewers. A expert/scientist, not sure which, claimed to have done studies on this phenomenon. Is it also true for fish?
is the first question assuming perfect water quality? if so then false. fish can be come stunted from poor water quality.
they can be come stunted from not enough food.

and controversially some fish may stunt others of the same species by pheromone build up in the water, no real evidence ive seen to back this up, i believe most claims come from discus. so this may only happen to some species if at all.

the second part, i doubt it if they have gills, the ammonia and wastes in the sewer would probably kill them. if its a run off sewer maybe.

Fishman0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
New York
sostoudt;3714600; said:
the second part, i doubt it if they have gills, the ammonia and wastes in the sewer would probably kill them. if its a run off sewer maybe.
I dont think any type of fish would be able to live in the sewer system, the claim was that a species would have faster growth in total darkness rather than a "regular" light cycle

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
Fishman0;3714591; said:
I want to put an end to some myths that I have heard over the years.

This thread is for anyone who wants to have a myth proved/disproved.

I ask that if a myth is proposed, please do not ridicule, as this thread is to answer questions.

For any who answer; please provide where the information comes from (i.e. personal experience, article, book, etc...)

I will begin with two;

"Fish will only grow to the size of the enclosure they are in." mostly TRUE they die when the space gets too small though sometimes they just end up all stunted and deformed.. think of undersized tanks as a sort of foot binding.. accept for fish..

- True for only some species?

"Certain species grow faster when in total darkness."
sometimes true.. species that live at the bottom of the ocean and such

general myths can be true or false.. thats whats great about generalizations..

Fishman0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
New York
sostoudt, your answer to number one was very interesting, I had never considered pheromone build up in a similar species tank.

I also know that some species will undergo growth deformities if the tank size is to small for them to adequately turn.

Lets say water quality is always kept "PERFECT", can stunting of a fish take place in a small enclosure?

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
Fishman0;3714620; said:
sostoudt, your answer to number one was very interesting, I had never considered pheromone build up in a similar species tank.

I also know that some species will undergo growth deformities if the tank size is to small for them to adequately turn.

Lets say water quality is always kept "PERFECT", can stunting of a fish take place in a small enclosure?
if water and feeding is perfect then no it should not occur, ruling out genetic abnormality.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
So really it's not the small tank stunting fish, it's the crappy water quality.

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
TTTT;3714701; said:
So really it's not the small tank stunting fish, it's the crappy water quality.
yes, do people that live in small houses become smaller then ones in big houses.
do hamsters and gerbils that live in small enclosures become smaller then ones in big ones

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store