What to stock my 180 gallon with

marinegordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
MA
Hey folks,

I have a 180 gallon 72''-24''-24'' and a oscar in a 55g that is going to obviously grow out of it. I am wondering what some good tank mates would be for him. I was thinking a manganese cichlid and maybe a couple more oscars not sure though. There will be a common pleco in there as well. I am looking for something honestly that the ladies find "cute" and also a fish with some personality. Let me know what you guys think!

regards,

Marshall

marinegordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
MA
I was just looking around and what about another oscar,dovii and a midas? so all in all thats

2 oscars,dovii,midas and a pleco not sure if they will get along or the dovii will get to big?

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
You sound young. Who on earth picks fish that "ladies think are cute"? lol Maybe I'm just old. Sigh.
I'd have the Oscar as the focus fish, a small school of Silver Dollars, a few cool looking Syno cats & a fancy Plec. (I'd let the common Plec go elsewhere to live but that's just me). Maybe some good sized Clown Loaches if you can find them for the bottom.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Both Midas and Dovii are extremely aggressive and will most likely result in a single dovii surrounded by the corpses of your other fish.

TwistedPenguin;3718850; said:
You sound young. Who on earth picks fish that "ladies think are cute"? lol Maybe I'm just old. Sigh.
I'd have the Oscar as the focus fish, a small school of Silver Dollars, a few cool looking Syno cats & a fancy Plec. (I'd let the common Plec go elsewhere to live but that's just me). Maybe some good sized Clown Loaches if you can find them for the bottom.
Agreed.

marinegordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
MA
haha im 24 and what can i say the ladies love the fish

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Ladies don't fall for plecos and fish knobs on their heads, man. You want haplochromis obliquidens and Discus! Color and smoothness. Chicks dig color and smoothness.

marinegordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
MA
ok i think i have assembled my dream team of fish here- ive done about 12 hours of research or more as you can see from my OP. These are the fish i would like to have and a concern if any.

Silver Arowana-thinking it may out grow my 180g 72x24x24?
alligator gar-Not sure how big these get in captivity like 30 inch max?
oscar-X2
aba aba knife fish-did some research they only get to be about 20 inch rarely in captivity maybe bigger and they grow slow, just real aggresive sometimes
shovel nose cat

thats it let me know if you see any conflicts or possible over crowding those would be th eonly 6 in there. I have a fluval fx5 on it now i also have a wet dry filter not hooked up with a 55g sump and bio balls all that if the fx5 isnt enough, or would possibly buy another.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Alligator gar get huge...if it maxes out at 30" it is stunted. What type of shovelnose cat are you thinking about? I think tsns will get too big for a 180, since they will grow over 24" ( the width of your tank)

syndicate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
marinegordon;3720786; said:
alligator gar-Not sure how big these get in captivity like 30 inch max?
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store