How do I choose a healthy Betta from out of all those tiny containers?

RobotDeathSquad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Somewhere
I am planning a new 10 gallon tank, and I would love a Betta!

I went to my local PetSmart AND independent LFS... both had all the Bettas in those tiny torture chambers on a shelf for sale.

How can I choose the lucky Betta fish to be saved? What would be some good/bad signs of health that i should look for?

I know about the aggresiveness males show towards one another, don't know about females though... Would love some insight because my 10g tank will have live plants, 6 neon tetras, and 3 otocinclus.

Thank you! You guys are awesome haha

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California
My girlfriend would love this topic because she loves her bettas. The things to look for, as with any fish, include:

Does it appear healthy: full, but not bloated belly, no parasites, no fungus, no tattered looking fins, clear eyes, and vivid coloration.

Bettas are pretty lazy sometimes so activity level would not always indicate health, but make sure the one you pick out is responsive. Sometimes I like to pretend I am putting food in there death trap to see if they respond, usually that means they are feeding well.

If they are constantly flaring at the other bettas this could also indicate good health, but you may be getting an aggressive fish, which could be bad. I had one betta in my community tank that would flare at all fish and chase and nip at them so watch for temperament.

Female bettas are beautiful also and frequently more community friendly. However I have had problems with females getting egg bound. I do breed them sometimes to relieve this situation, but I quickly run out of grow out space.

If I have left anything out I am sure somebody will post after me, or I can have my girlfriend look this over and post again. Other than that have fun finding your new betta.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
Look for ones that move when you pick them up, and ones that are flaring.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Check the bottom of the cup. There should be no food or poo. If anything, a little poo. The betta should typically not be floating, but hovering in the middle or laying on the bottom.
Look at it from the top. The head should be contour with the body. Not bigger or smaller.
As stated, watch for obvious signs of dropsy, fungus, etc. These fish are on death's bed more often than not.
Make sure you like it. Don't get a healthy betta with ugly colors you won't appreciate. You will provide better care for fish that you like, so get one that moves you.
Females are a good option as long as there are no males within sight of her tank. The eggbound issue is real. My favorite betta died from what I'm pretty sure was a case of being egg bound.
Bigger is not better. Smaller equals younger equals better adaptability, immune system and vigor as well as lifespan. Go for the small betta. His water is cleaner, too.

RobotDeathSquad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Somewhere
Thanks for all the advice guys! I have another question... I don't know what it looks like when a Betta fish flares. What is that and how do I spot it? Dumb question but - its a sign of aggression, yes?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Yes, aggression and possibly mating interest if done suavely. The gills fold open to make the head look bigger when viewed straight on. It is a little creepy at first to see the inside of the betta. Have fun finding a healthy betta! :)

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California

Here yah go. This is one of my bettas

a6715s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Nebraska
I bought these two females at Petsmart. I'm no expert, but I think they're pretty nice. They live together and mostly get along. There isn't much outright fighting, but they flare at each other and kind of dance around each other alot.
(I threw in an extra picture of Turquoise because she's so cute.)
A

Sapphire fish.jpg

Turquoise betta.jpg

Turquoise betta2.jpg

RobotDeathSquad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Somewhere
haha yes she is cute

Thanks for all the tips guys! I will make a list of things to keep an eye out for and take it with me on my Betta "hunt" :)

P.S. Isnt it hilarious that the female Bettas are the friendlier ones? Human females are pretty aggressive whereas two guys could be beating each other up but then buying beers for each other the next day haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store