Breeding in a 55 gallon?

Joshmac8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
well i decided to do a breeding group or breeding pair of something in my 55 gallon.......I love the hobby to death and figured maybe i could make a couple extra bucks in the process while enjoying the hobby and all.....kinda looking for recommendations if anyone has any???? Looking to stay with cichlids.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
Well convict are definatly the easiest but won't get you much...

If you're willing to invest in Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, their fry will sell for like $40 at 2"

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
As juveniles, yes. as they grow older, they become more stable. If you are willing to invest you could buy a breeding pair of adults, or 6-8 juveniles and pick the healthiest ones to breed.

If your not wishing to spend $200+, then you could breed convicts or regular JDs. Just find something you like, don't get something for the money or rarity. Find a cichlid you think is cool and you like, and go with that. :D
EBJD:

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Look into dwarfs. Apistos would be good in a 55.You could probably have 2 or maybe 3 harems.
What part of Iowa are you from?

congofeet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
California
You should realize though that if you breed electric blue jacks that you will not get 100% yield of electric blues, so dont be disappointed. You will get ~25% electric blues, genetics suck.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
there's not too many hardy cichlids that will also breed in a 55 which also will provide fry that can be sold for any decent amount...just breed something for fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store