can i add these?

festerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
p town, oregon
i know they are not gars but im hopping for some feed back none the less, i have a 125G with 3 large severums, 6 tiger barbs,3 large bala sharks,angle fish, 9" pike cichlid(belly crawler), im tring to find another fish to put in the tank, i was thinking about Ctenolucius hujeta (Fresh Water Barracuda) or Acestrorhynchus falcatus (Red Tail Barracuda)
has any one ever had one or herd about them from first hand experience? or ant feed back can help

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
get rid of the tiger barbs, they don't seem to fit your tank. i mean not in size but rather they'll be eaten soon.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Have owned many many of both and still own a few hujeta's.

The hujeta's would be your best bet as they stay at the top couple of inches of water 90% of the time. And you would have to worry less about aggresion from the other fish.

The falcatus are awesome fish, but are easily stressed into disease. With fin and tail rot being the most common. And they will explore all over the tank and in time run into the pike which will led to problems.

Both fish are predators and there primary diet in the wild is small fish. So they will need live feeder fish until they get acclimated and healthy (2months or so). And then you can decide if you want to starve and torture them onto dead foods like pellets, krill, shrimp,fish fillet,smelt, etc,

I would also suggest getting atleast 3 of the species you choose because they are both shoaling fish in the wild and you will get alot better success rate with a school of them.

festerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
p town, oregon
hybridtheoryd16;3723512; said:
Have owned many many of both and still own a few hujeta's.

"The falcatus are awesome fish, but are easily stressed into disease. With fin and tail rot being the most common. And they will explore all over the tank and in time run into the pike which will led to problems.

Both fish are predators and there primary diet in the wild is small fish. So they will need live feeder fish until they get acclimated and healthy (2months or so). And then you can decide if you want to starve and torture them onto dead foods like pellets, krill, shrimp,fish fillet,smelt, etc",

ya i would need to get big ones in the on set cause if they are small enough to fit in the mouth of the pike cichlid that would be an expencive meal. i use to scuers taped to gether to hand feed the pike( i swiched to the stick when my hole finger can fit into his mouth) :drool: so im defenity going to do that with the sharp toothed ones! thanks for the input

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I would be worried about the cichlids being too rough, so would go with the hujeta, but I'd get them their own tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store