ammonia to high help

csa dad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
evington ,va
ok i set up a 40 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago an my ammonia level was threw the roof i changed the water twice in it an now ive got it down to a 2.0 an i need help cause like a big dummy i put two new bumble bee cichlids in an they dont look so good but the other fish that where in the tank look great any help would be apprectiated . also i put top fin ammonia remover in also ive treated it about as much as the bottle says i can so what next just wait or what

mikeinnj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
new jersey
well your tank probably isnt cycled, ive had this before one thing that worked was tetra safestart. dont add anymore fish until your cycled

csa dad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
evington ,va
right i have done two water changes just got done doing the second change over about an hour ago . its not bad when i got the 5 gallon bucket to change but i had to use a gallon tea pitcher to change it i got a syphon hose an a window right be side the tank so draining it is easy

csa dad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
evington ,va
how much will the tetra safe start set me back. an i plan on putting these fish into a 55 i have before long when i do that i should just drain all the water out of this 40 after i get it cycled right . ya think the fish i got will be all right includeing the two new ones

festerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
p town, oregon
get ammolock filtermedia and put "prime" its in a red bottle, this detoxifies the ammonia. is it an african cichlid tank? o and get some "strees zyme" this is like staroids for your bio filter

csa dad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
evington ,va
yes it is a african tank the ammo lock in a bottle didnt really help i tried it first an wouldnt touch it . i will have to get some of that prime

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Try and find someone (either a buddy or the LFS) that has seeded, cycled media. Do a huge water change and then place it in your filter. If you can't do this, just do big water changes.

The thing about Ammo-Lock and products like that is that they neutralize Ammonia, not remove it. So, when you test, Ammonia still looks sky-high. Is it neutralized or is the product crap? I don't know. I'd stick to large water changes, and try to find some cycled media.

I've never seen real results using Ammo-Chips at all. Others may have, but I haven't.

The only beneficial bacteria in a bottle that I can speak for is Dr. Tim's One-And-Only, because I know it truly does work. It's kind of expensive, but by the time you buy all of the other stuff people are telling you to buy (I think one person recommeded three different things!) you may as well spend the money on one product that works and actually does what you're trying to do, add bacteria, instead of trying to neutralize/remove ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store