New Ray Trouble

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
Two days ago on the 27th of December I bought a male motoro stingray pup from Amazonstingrays. Pat wasn't in so i was helped by another employee. It is eventually going to go into a 180 gallon tank then possibly a pond but right now it is in a 75 gallon until it gets alittle bigger. It's really active usually swimming around but sometimes it just sits on the bottom curling its fins up into a ball. From what i've read thats usually a sign of stress but im not sure. And I know its only been 2 days and it may take some time but i cannot get him to eat anything. I've tried Earthworms which they feed them at the store and i've also tried smelt and shrimp that I chop up very small as well, and still he wont eat them. At most he just glides over them and then sits on them for a minute and swims away without eating them. I'm not sure what the problem is. I might get some ghost shrimp and put them in and see if he will take them or not. I don't want to go the black worm route because i know they have the possiblity of parasites. Hes the only fish in the tank and the tank is kept dark and is just barebottom no sand or gravel. The water is perfect no ammonia or nitrites, The 75 has been established for well over 6 months and its well over filtered with 2 Fluval 405s on it. I'm not sure if im over reacting or not but This is the first ray i've owned so im kinda nervous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
give him time
he should come around
motoros are quite hardy..
curling is not a good sign but lets hope he eats and becomes healthy soon

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
18Klownknife;3739772; said:
Two days ago on the 27th of December I bought a male motoro stingray pup from Amazonstingrays. Pat wasn't in so i was helped by another employee. It is eventually going to go into a 180 gallon tank then possibly a pond but right now it is in a 75 gallon until it gets alittle bigger. It's really active usually swimming around but sometimes it just sits on the bottom curling its fins up into a ball. From what i've read thats usually a sign of stress but im not sure. And I know its only been 2 days and it may take some time but i cannot get him to eat anything. I've tried Earthworms which they feed them at the store and i've also tried smelt and shrimp that I chop up very small as well, and still he wont eat them. At most he just glides over them and then sits on them for a minute and swims away without eating them. I'm not sure what the problem is. I might get some ghost shrimp and put them in and see if he will take them or not. I don't want to go the black worm route because i know they have the possiblity of parasites. Hes the only fish in the tank and the tank is kept dark and is just barebottom no sand or gravel. The water is perfect no ammonia or nitrites, The 75 has been established for well over 6 months and its well over filtered with 2 Fluval 405s on it. I'm not sure if im over reacting or not but This is the first ray i've owned so im kinda nervous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have owned three rays from Pat with one being stubborn to eat. took 7 days to pick at
cut up crawlers and 9 to start pounding them down. Cover tank with blanket, lights
off. Give it some time to adjust. As for as the fins curling up how much current is
in the tank? The fins curling up could just be a result of that.

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
Oh and the temp is 82. Yeah i'm sure he will come around i'm just nervous being he is by first ray. I'm just kinda regretting dealing with a different employee instead of pat himself.

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
Ahh good point about the amount of current i didn't even think of that. The two canisters do put off quite a current. Although he does seem to enjoy swiming in from out the outlet and playing in the current. Yeah Pat is a good guy to deal with and he has really great rays. I just prolly picked out a stubborn one that will take some time.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
It should be CB motoro, so no need to really worry about parasites. The fact that it was eating in the store, it can go with out food for a few days no problem.

Like the other said keep the tank dark and keep offereing food. Should eventually come around. Even though water is good, maybe a good idea to do some daily water changes with prime. Some salt at 1lb per 100 gl may also help with the stress.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
What size is the ray? I got 3 CB Motoro from Pat about 7 weeks ago, the smallest was probably 4" across and had a little trouble with whole red wriggler earthworms initially so I was cutting them up for him (fast-forward 2 weeks and the same ray was pounding chopped shimp).

How did you acclimate it to your water?

I doubt it's the current, mine have plenty of current in their tank.

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
It's roughly 5" across, and i acclimated it by putting it in a bucket and dripping it like i do all my other fish since i don't live very far from the store. I put 6 ghost shrimp in there last night and only seen one this morning so im guessing he ate the rest. He seems to be doing better, im sure he was just stressed.

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
From what I understand dripping is only bad if they are kept in the bag for a long period of time. I only live maybe 25 mins from amazonstingrays store so im sure the dripping method was a good choice. Thats what i've done with all my previous fish and never had a casualty. I'm just kinda nervous because although i've kept many other types of fish this is my first ray so i just want to make sure i'm doing everything correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store